Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Ten on Tuesday: Things I've Never Done

I have a tendency to blog about my kids and family more than I blog about myself.  Lately, though I've been in an introspective mood.  I have shared a few childhood memories about playing dominoes and being a killer caterpillar.  I've also finally written up my bucket list.  Then, last week The Dose girls wrote a "would you rather" post about two 80s movies that I had never seen.   All of that got me thinking of these things that I've never done:



  • Watched the movies ET, 16 Candles, The Breakfast Club (I've seen parts), and the original Star Wars trilogy.  I've not seen all of the new ones either, but who cares about those? There are actually a lot more iconic movies I haven't seen that just aren't coming to mind right now.
  • Had a pedicure-I have had two manicures and I've hated them both.  I'm not a fan of my feet anyway, so why would I pay for a pedicure?
  • Been cut open for surgery-I had surgery when I was eight, but no incisions were required.  I've also had my wisdom teeth out, but that doesn't really count, right?
  • Had a passport-I went to Canada in high school as part of a choir trip, but at the time border crossings were easier.  We were supposed to bring our birth certificates with us, but they didn't even check for those.
  • Had a car loan (or chosen my vehicle)-My first car was from my parents.  The next one was given to me by a family in exchange for some babysitting. The next car came from my grandparents. Then Ken's parents gave me a car.  Then my former boss helped us get a van.  The one we have now was purchased by my parents. We are paying them back, but it's not really a loan
  • Sold a house-please, oh please let this happen by next summer!!
  • Ridden a motorcycle-Ken has his endorsement, but he's never been able to convince me to get on one.  My mom has ridden a motorcycle!! (That's okay, I didn't believe it the first time I heard it either!!)
  • Owned a dog-not a fan.  Don't really care for them at all.  There are a few dogs that I will tolerate, but I still don't really like them.
  • Had braces-despite many attempts by my childhood dentist (who later became an orthodontist)
  • Had tonsils or appendix removed-still have both!  Hope I'm not jinxing myself!!
I'm not actually saying that these are necessarily things I would like to do; they just seem to be pretty common occurrences that I've never taken part in. Hopefully at some point in my life I will need a Passport and be able to sell a house.  I'd be okay if I never get to experience another surgery.

How about you?  Is there something you've never done that causes people to give you a shocked look when the subject comes up?

21 comments :

  1. You are so blessed to have help when it comes to the 'vehicle' department. The hubs & I have 2 vehicles we are financing at the moment. It sucks! I have never had a passport either! But I have never traveled anywhere I would actually need one. I so would love to visit Canada!!& I am so like you when it comes to dogs. I dislike them. A LOT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! We have been very blessed in that department!! My favorite was the 1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo in exchange for babysitting. That car was HUGE!! My teeny tiny self looked pretty funny driving it around!!

      Delete
  2. I've never seen Star Wars either, and I married a huge fan! I'm amazed that I've managed this long without having to watch it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, Ken probably owns at least five copies of each movie. I've just never sat through them beginning to end. I joke that I've probably seen all the scenes, just not in order and not at the same time!! :)

      Delete
  3. I've had plenty of surgeries, seen all those movies, have a dog, had a motorcycle, paying a mortgage, owned several cars, had my tonsils out, but I still have my appendix. What haven't I done? skydived. or parasailed. And I won't ever try either. Loved your list. Great insight into who you are. Have a blessed day! Followed you from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a kid the idea of surgery absolutely terrified me. I remember actually praying that I would never have to have surgery! One DNC, a laperscopic procedure,and a C-section later I can say, it sucks to have surgery. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had surgeries - but still have my tonsils and appendix, too. I have never driven a motorcycle and can't ever see it happening, either. :) What a fun list, Rabia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, totally! I will add that I have also never been cut open (I thought wisdom teeth counted, but maybe not?) and I've never been on a motorcycle. I'm too scared. That comfortable feeling you get in a car that you don't get on a roller coaster? I'm afraid of traveling places feeling uncomfortable. How do you eat and then ride a motorcycle? Ugh. I'm nutty.

    Ok, drumroll..I have never:
    Blown up a balloon (hate latex and childhood fear of the sound of popping)
    Ridden on a roller coaster
    Been drunk
    Had a stomach virus


    Wheeee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s a fantastic list! Let’s really hope you’re not jinxing yourself on No 10, otherwise, you’ll also probably be saying goodbye to No 3!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never having a car loan is a great thing! I have tried to avoid them or pay them off quickly myself. And Breakfast Club is completely worth the watch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Star Wars movies are actually pretty good. I wasn't sure if I'd like them.

    I've never seen Sixteen Candles all the way through. Just bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally think you should get a passport and travel some place fab. AND see those movies. There is just something about that era of film making. Cheesy but fun at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheesh, even I have ridden a motorcycle. My brother took me around the block on his when he was in college and I was in junior high. That's what we called it back before it was "middle school." Even my own (first) junior high is now a middle school.

    Because I lived in Germany for six years as a kid, I've been to various places in Europe. And I've been to Israel, Tunisia, and Turkey, so I've been to Africa and Asia, just barely. However, I've never been to Canada, Mexico, or the non-contiguous US. Fun facts to know and tell, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whenever I tell them I run daily, that usually freaks them out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never had a passport either! Interestingly enough, when I was in high school I also went to Canada on a choir trip, but didn't need it. I've really wanted to get a passport, though, so that I could go back to Canada to visit some friends. That or to travel over seas. Hopefully one day in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't done a lot of those myself... But I did see all those movies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never had a pedicure either. And I still have my appendix and tonsils.

    I went to Canada when I was little, but didn't need a passport then.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never (and probably own't even) ridden on a motorcycle either! They terrify me. Great idea for a post! Stopping by from the SITS Sharefest, and I'd love for you to drop by my blog and visit if you get the chance. Have a wonderful weekend!

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.stephanieziajka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never had a pedicure either. Something about the idea just makes me shudder. I always thought I was the only one...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't have a passport either! You should totally see The Breakfast Club! It's one of my favorite movies...EVER! I'm scared of motorcycles, so I would probably NEVER ride one! Stopping in from Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't have a passport either so you are not alone. Pedicures....I stopped paying for them found out how to do my own via pinterest works the same way and I save money. I always wanted one of those cute dogs but I don't like dogs but I want one lol. Stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...