Friday, October 31, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Leave

Five Minute Friday has a new home! Come check it out and join in on the free-writing fun!
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you; encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community...


Five minutes on leave...

GO


"Leave Mommy alone for a minute, guys!"
"Let's go! It's time to leave!"
"I don't wanna leave Grandma's house!!"

It seems like there always some trauma associated with the word leave. It's so final. The End. Over. Finishing things does seem to have some modicum of loss to it. It's the end of something familiar, and consequently the beginning of something else unknown.

But then that finality does need to be given some perspective. Maybe Mommy needs to be left alone because she's finishing up a surprise for dinner. Maybe when it's time to leave, we're going somewhere fun. Leaving Grandma's house is never fun for the kids. To be honest, I cry when I drive away too. But I am thankful for the time my kids get to spend with my parents. It's significantly more time than I got to spend with my own grandparents.

The puzzle of leaving is that we have to do that to move on to better things. Life is not meant to be stagnant. There's no growth; no discovery; no learning in that.

This morning they had to leave me alone so I could finish my Wyldstyle costume!

10 comments :

  1. I love your ideas that the word leave needs perspective. Yes, leaving does open the door to other things. Thanks for your thoughts and Happy Halloween. I am a FMF neighbor knocking at your door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, you look perfect and Happy Halloween, Rabia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Gabriele. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Janine! I changed it up a little since the tape was falling off, but I haven't had the chance to take another picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your costume. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a fab costume! My kids never leave me alone. I think they believe I would get too lonely if they did! Have a great weekend and Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wyldstyle! Awesome!
    I hate leaving my parent's house but I'm ok leaving my in-laws' house! Gosh, that sounds so cliche and rude. It's just.. my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jen! My kids only leave me alone when their father stands guard!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel the exact same way! I cry whenever I pull out of my parents' driveway. And they stand there and wave and blow kisses and then I see my mom start crying. I hate it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...