Friday, April 26, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Friend

I'm trying out "Five Minute Friday" today.  It's just like in high school when your English teacher said, write for five minutes on whatever comes to mind.  I hated it then because my mind never wanted to go towards something to write about.  This task, however, comes with a prompt.  And a new one each week.  I've been seeing Five Minute Fridays all over blogs lately, so I decided to dive right in with one this week.

And the prompt this week? Friend.  I've got a great story for that one!! So here you go' five minutes on the word "friend."

I was at church a few weeks ago waiting for things to get started.  Someone said something over my head that annoyed me.  Actually, it more than annoyed me, it made me mad, mainly for the sake of my child.  It wasn't something necessarily mean or unkind, it was just thoughtless and my momma bear claws came out.

I turned to my friend sitting next to me and said, "I can't believe she just said that!"  I went on with a bit of a rant about why it had made me mad.  Friend turned to me and said, "Maybe she's just feeling_______. It could be that _______ & _______."  The actual response doesn't matter so much as the fact that it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

I looked at friend and said, "You are probably, most definitely correct. However, that is not the response I was looking for. "  So being the great friend that she is, she smiled and said, "Oh Sorry!  Let me rewind and try that again!" ...  "I can't believe she just did that! That is such a rotten thing to say right in front of you. GRR!! She makes me mad too!"

Thank you, friend.  That's what I wanted to hear.  Sometimes (OK, fairly often) I don't want someone who can fix my problems.  I want someone to commiserate with me.  To agree that sometimes life sucks and is unfair.  And I am so fortunate to have a great friend who can do that for me!!

You can check out other answers over at the link-up.
 

9 comments :

  1. Followed you from Five Minute Friday. Glad to have you join us. Great friend story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved that writing exercise in high school! And everyone needs a friend like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahahaha. I love that!! A good friend will rewind to make her buddy happy. That made me smile!!
    This 5 minute Friday is fun! You're good at it. It takes me 5 minutes of staring at the screen before I can even begin to write. I'm impressed!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love having friends like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could definitely have used that recently! Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree! I don't always want my friend to fix my problems - just listen, and to tell me they understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, that is a good friend. A good friend will hug you and make you smile even if they think you are being an idiot. Then when you have calmed down or cheered up, they will tell you that you were being an idiot. :)
    Not seen the 5 minute Friday before but I will certainly be checking it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...