Monday, December 10, 2012

70 Things I Learned From My Mom

My Mommy's birthday is today.  It isn't polite to mention a woman's age, but I did make this special list just for her.

70 Things I Learned From My Mom
  1. Love
  2. To be nice to my brothers
  3. How to be a good mom
  4. My faith
  5. To go to Mass regularly
  6. To "watch Father" during the consecration
  7. To say my prayers
  8. To give thanks for what I have
  9. To appreciate the small things in life
  10. Love
  11. To be kind
  12. To help others
  13. To call twice in a row if it's an emergency
  14. It's never too late to learn new things
  15. Or quit a bad habit
  16. To keep in touch with your family
  17. How to bake salmon
  18. How to gut and fillet a fish
  19. How to keep wrinkles out of your clothes by throwing them back in the dryer
  20. Love
  21. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all
  22. If something is missing, St. Anthony can help
  23. That curbs jump out and attack your tires if you drive too close to them
  24. Do as I say, not as I do
  25. When a car is driving strangely, you can fix this by saying, "car,car,car" at them
  26. To honor Mary
  27. To always wear clean underwear
  28. To respect everyone
  29. To wear earrings everyday
  30. And lipstick
  31. Love
  32. To take my vitamins
  33. How to make pepper steak
  34. To not eat like a Brainard 
  35. To shut the door behind me because I wasn't raised in a barn
  36. That I am beautiful
  37. Colorful cereals are for special occasions only
  38. To honor my elders and my family's heritage
  39. To look both ways before crossing the street
  40. To eat my vegetables
  41. Love
  42. To pray for peace in the world
  43. To respect, value, and learn about other cultures
  44. A smile always makes you look better
  45. A smile also makes you feel better
  46. A mom can work outside the home and still be a great mom
  47. Not to light a fire with a lighter
  48. Always say, "I love you."
  49. Always keep Kleenex handy
  50. That my face probably won't really stick that way
  51. That it's important to eat dinner around a table at home, together as a family
  52. The best thing to yell at a soccer game is, "kick the ball." It works in every situation
  53. Love
  54. Wear a hat when it's cold
  55. Be patient
  56. Be generous
  57. That this will hurt me more than it hurts you.  
  58. Willie Nelson makes us melt.
  59. That sharing a bathroom with 5 people might be hard, but try sharing it with 8!
  60. "Take some Tylenol and put some heat on it" will work in most situations
  61. That people who call and ask for "Sugar" are family, people who ask for "Madeline" are friends, and people who ask for "Mrs. Barnard" are telemarketers
  62. To put a sweater on when I am cold
  63. Love
  64. Waffles with peanut butter and syrup are delicious
  65. If the weather is bad enough that the weather anchor suggests checking on the elderly, it is always funny to turn to mom and ask how she's doing.
  66. The Weather Channel is not just for checking the weather for five minutes, it is an actual channel that you can watch all day long
  67. That celebrating my birthday separately from my brother's was probably always more about me having my own special day than it was about making me wait for presents.
  68. The bond between a mother and a daughter is a special gift
  69. That "This is the day the Lord has made, we should rejoice and be glad in it."
  70. That my brothers are I are the luckiest kids in the world to have been raised by such a wonderful mom
Chicken and Sugar

The Brainard family, circa 1984?


The Queen Mum at Frances' princess birthday party
Easter 2010 (Pre-Benjamin)



Birthday Bucks!
Bunny ears always appear in family photos!




 Happy birthday, Mommy!! I love you!!

    7 comments :

    1. Very nice. Happy birthday to your Mom!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! I was easier to write than I thought it would be and a nice trip down memory lane as well. Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete
    2. Stopping by from SITS

      What a great list! I should stop and think about all the things I've learned from my mom. It would do me good. We're staying with her while we reno our kitchen and she's driving me nuts. It would be helpful to think of the things that I learned from her that aren't annoying.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think living with my mom would drive me nuts too! (Sorry mom!!) I hope you can make a list to focus on the positive over the holidays; and that your kitchen remodel goes quickly!!

        Delete
    3. I think the basics of #47 had more to do with fuel than the lighter ...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If she had thrown a match the results would not have been as severe. Regardless, I am still terrified of lighting fires.

        Delete
    4. You're right. A light match or something else tossed over to the main pile would be the way to go. Oddly enough, most people here in the county burn their leaves, but we don't.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...