Tuesday, December 2, 2014

#TuesdayTen: Barbie My Dream House Edition

I didn't really play with Barbies as a kid. I remember getting my first Barbie doll when I was about 11. She was a Hawaiian Barbie. And just to be funny, I also got a Black Ken. Lessons on interracial dating at such a young age! Needless to say, I didn't have a whole lot of accessories for my Barbie collection. Technically, I didn't even really have clothes for the dolls, since they were both beach oriented. 

Regardless of my Barbie naiveté , however, I have always had some thoughts in mind for my own dream house. Many thanks to #TuesdayTen for giving me the excuse to get them out on virtual paper, so my fictional architect can get started!


  1. My dream house is a Victorian style house. It has to have two stories and an attic. It will be a sage green with darker green accents and shutters. It will be on a cul-de-sac with lots of families around so the kids can play together and no one drives around like an @$$hole!
  2. It will have a round room that goes from the ground floor to the attic. The attic portion of said room will have a full bench seat around it with shelves for books underneath and above to the ceiling. The attic will also have storage for out of season clothing and decorations. Also, it will never be unbearable hot up there.
  3. There will be a porch that wraps around at least three-fourths of the house. The porch will obviously have a porch swing. It will also have some seating and a table, so we can hang out and entertain friends on the porch. The porch will also have a door that leads directly into the kitchen, and steps that lead back to the yard.
  4. My dream house will have a nice, flat yard. The backyard will be fenced in with a garden along the back and plenty of space for the kids to run around. I will cut the grass diagonally, because that's what you do when you have a nice yard.
  5. We will have fireplaces, of course, but not just regular fireplaces. There will be fireplaces that are back to back and show in two different rooms. I might put one in the bathroom next to the jacuzzi tub, but maybe that's showing off!
  6. On the main floor there will be a living room, dining room, kitchen and a play room for the kids. The playroom will have lots of built in shelves for toy storage.The kitchen will have lots of drawers and storage options. There will also be a back door that leads to the yard.
  7. The second floor will have four bedrooms. One of those will be a master bedroom with adjoining bathroom. Two of the other rooms will have a bathroom between them. The fourth bedroom will be a guest room.
  8. This house will have amazing, Tardis-sized closets (small on the outside, bigger on the inside). Closets where Ken and I can both hang up clothes. Closets my kids can put stuff in. Closets I can hide in and read a book!
  9. We will have a three car garage. Not that we have three cars, just that we can fit both vehicles and also store the bikes and scooters and such.
  10. This house will have a laundry chute. That probably sounds dumb, but I've always wanted one of those! Just put your clothes in the chute and they fall out right in front of the washing machine, ready to go!

How about you? Have you ever designed your dream house? Tell us in the comments or write your own post and link it up!

#TuesdayTen rules and such are here. Please read them if you've never participated before.

Also, there are a few spaces left in our giveaway for our first birthday in January. You can purchase a link for only $5 and get lots of social media exposure. Click here for more information!

34 comments :

  1. Sadly I didn't have Barbie's Dreamhouse either, but still also hoping for my own real Dreamhouse, too! Great list, Rabia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It appears we have the Barbie dream house thing in common. Great minds! This house sounds seriously amazing. We just bought our home and the 3 car garage was SO important to my husband, he actually had it in our top 5 list of must haves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a wrap around porch on my list, too! We had a laundry chute in one of our houses growing up, but we weren't allowed to use it because sometimes the clothes got stuck in it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of a laundry chute appeals to me, but when I think about it for half a second, I change my mind. I wouldn't be able to get to the washing machine if everyone just dropped their dirty clothes (and, infuriatingly, clean clothes) down the chute. Plus, with five ornery boys in the house, it would probably be used more to drop non-clothing items down.
    Your dream house sounds lovely, though. I especially liked the diagonally-mowed lawn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, I love the fact that you would cut your yard diagonally. So fancy! My "rich" step aunt used to pay me to mow her lawn and I had to mow it diagonal. Love your dream house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a bunch of Victorian houses around our neighborhood, but they are mostly businesses or rented out to students now. I wish I could find one for sale in our chosen neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not a deal breaker on my list. I think the number of bathrooms and the size of the yard will be our deal breakers when we house hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well since this is a made-up dream house, I've decided that the laundry won't ever get stuck. Plus, it will sort itself on the way down!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I mow my current lawn on the diagonal occasionally. It makes me feel so fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've done it a few times in our current house and it always makes me feel fancy. Even if the yard is tiny!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dream house sounds great!!! When the boys were little we looked at a house with a laundry chute - I had visions of them shoving each other down it - we didn't buy that house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Oddly enough, the women in my family had a heated discussion about laundry chutes on Thanksgiving! My aunt was upset that the architecture of the house made it impossible to install one lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oo I LOVE that house! I could go for a laundry chute too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jodi @the noise of boysDecember 2, 2014 at 9:25 PM

    1st love the house! 2nd I love the detail you put into dream. Great post, wonderful dream!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have clearly given this some thought! :-) I love your house and I think it sounds great. I love the 3 car garage. I forgot about that on my list! We don't have a garage now and I really miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it, so agree with the wrap around porch and see through fireplaces!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is beautifully specific.

    My grandparent's house had the best laundry chute ever. It was like magic!

    I told Ginny Marie:

    Wraparound porch for me. I want an indoor jacuzzi and an outdoor hot tub to use year-round and to see the stars in.

    I also a large kitchen because right now, two people cannot cook at the same time without bumping elbows constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That house is FABULOUS! My dream house has a huge porch and two chimneys and an address that only contains 2 or 3 numbers...don't know why, but that always seemed really rich to me!-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, so fun to think up our dream house! I have about 5 houses in mind.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds like a lovely home! For me, I would need to add a live-in housecleaner as I would never be able to keep it looking tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So when you get your dream home I will come visit! It sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I could see one of my boys shoving the other down the laundry chute!! I guess if they land on a pile of dirty clothes they'd be alright! I've always got plenty of dirty clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have an air return in the floor right above the basement laundry spot. I've often thought about removing the vent and tossing dirty clothes down it!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. All the rich people are doing it!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sure! We'll have plenty of room, you know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. And then if we could get a folder and put-away-er, I'd be all set!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've thought about it a lot. We are house hunting off and on while we try to save money for a move, so I've always got houses on the brain!

    ReplyDelete
  28. We have a garage, but it's tiny and the driveway is too steep for my car. We only use it for storage, but I'd love to get my van off the road!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gotta start saving some more money!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I need a much bigger kitchen. We have no counter-space and I can't open the dishwasher and the fridge at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOL at the address!! We used to live on Antoinette Court in Charlottesville and *that* was a pain to write all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love dreaming about and designing my next house. I just wish I could actually afford it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, of course! I think that goes without saying in a dream house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. When I get my dream home, I will throw a big party and invite all of you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...