Friday, February 3, 2017

Senior Moments

I have a horrible memory. Have I said that before? I don't really remember! LOL!

High school? I remember bits and pieces. I remember people. Some of that is aided by Facebook now. And the fact that I had my 20 year high school reunion last summer.

I took a government class where the teacher had us copy down current events each day and then quizzed us on them each Friday. I remember frantically going over the bits and blurbs at the end of the week. Looking back I think he was trying to teach us to follow the news, but I never picked up on that at that age. I wish I had.

I had an Advanced English class. We read a lot and wrote a lot, but I honestly don't remember much of the content of the class. Except I can't stand John Steinbeck. I had to write a report on him. Even today I'm not sure if I dislike him because of the assignment or if the assignment was difficult because I didn't like him.

I had a Physics class. Was that senior year? That teacher was a HIPPIE! In a good way. We liked her. We threw eggs off the press box in the stadium to see if we could protect them from breaking. Frances did a similar experiment in fifth grade that caused some flashbacks.

Calculus? I think I took that senior year. I had always liked math until imaginary numbers popped up. At that point I was pretty sure it was all made up! Seriously, they are called imaginary numbers!

I sang in the choir. I always loved choir. It's one of my favorite overall high school memories. I wasn't an especially good or confident singer, but I've always loved singing. My dad always requests his favorite song Far, Far Away. As in, "Can you sing far, far, away?" Funny!


I had a boyfriend. We went to prom. I think that was the year my mom had my dress custom made. That was an elegant experience. The material was like butter! I think we broke up shortly after prom that year. He had moved away to another state.

I played soccer. I was on the boys' team because there wasn't a girls' team. The coach was kinda a jerk to me. The other boys were too. I thought I kept up pretty well for a five foot tall girl playing against a lot of bigger, taller guys. I enjoyed the sport. And I enjoyed annoying them. I guess that part of my personality hasn't changed.

Was that the year of Channel One news and obsessions over that news caster, Rawley Valverde? The guy we called Greased Lightning? My mom still has a cleaner by that name and I laugh every time I see it! Lisa Ling got her start there. And Anderson Cooper too. We got autographed pictures from some of them! I probably have the packed away in a box in my parents' house!
LOL! The magic of Facebook friends!!

Was that the year we kidnapped Mary Katherine for her birthday? We smuggled her into the back of the car and took off. At the time, we thought it was so funny and she had no idea. Looking back, she probably knew the whole time. She might have been less than amused by the bag over her head.

Was that the year we snuck a toilet seat out of the girls' bathroom? Becky, do you still have that?! It was loose and not that hard to remove. But then we had to sneak it out of the school. I'm pretty sure we remembered to clean it before we wrapped it up as a birthday present, right?? Please tell me we washed it! Whose picture did we frame with it?

It's funny that when I sit down to think about it, I remember more than I thought I had. I still had to dig through Facebook to jog my memory a bit. We didn't have Facebook when I was in high school (thank goodness!) but I have reacquainted myself with a lot of my classmates on there since then.

What are your favorite high school memories?


Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This week 14 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.

Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts. Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:
Baking In A Tornado
Dinosaur Superhero Mommy
Spatulas on Parade
The Diary of an Alzheimer’s Caregiver
Sparkly Poetic Weirdo
Simply Shannon
The Bergham Chronicles
Confessions of a part time working mom
Not That Sarah Michelle
Southern Belle Charm
The Angrivated Mom
When I Grow Up
Climaxed

My subject is “Let's go back to high school for a moment. Tell us about your senior year....fave teachers, classes, memories, etc. It was submitted by: The Angrivated Mom.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...