Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Ridiculous Resolution Recap!

It's April Fools Day and I don't have any kids to prank! I hope my parents have tricked them with the traditional green milk at breakfast. I'm excited to hear all their stories when they get back tomorrow afternoon.

For today, though, it's time for a resolution recap. I like to take a moment each month to look back at my goals for the year and see what progress I'm making and what areas I need to work on. It's not really all that ridiculous, but I like the alliteration. And instead of the traditional "good, bad, and ugly," I thought I'd try "fantastic, unwise, and preposterous," as those are all synonyms of "foolish" in honor of today's holiday!



First up...

The Fantastic

Blog life has been going well. I am quite pleased to say that my social media numbers have really grown this year. I helped out with a few giveaways, which is always a great way to find more connections, but I've also been focusing on following new people every day and trying to interact more.  I had set the goal to grown my numbers by 25% this year and I'm shocked to say that I've already met that goal for Facebook and Instagram! I'm very close on Twitter as well. My analytics show me that I'm doing well with page views, but I'd like to bring in some new readers. I've got some plans for that as well, since I've been accepted as a SITS community lead and I'll be writing some posts for this this month!

The Unwise

After all that good news, I'm sad to say that I'm failing in my personal health goals. I've challenged myself to take 28,000 steps a week. That's an average of 4,000 per day, which is already a pretty low goal. In looking at my spreadsheet, I've actually met that weekly goal the past three weeks, but only because of one really busy day each week that upped the average for me. Since the goal is health and wellness, I'm still going to call this a failure since I'm not walking any extra on most days. However, since April is going to warm up, I will make myself get in the habit of a daily walk, whether it's on my lunch break or after dinner with the kids.

The Preposterous

I'm still not doing well with date nights. Let me be honest here. Back in December, Ken and I had an event to go to. We had a new babysitter and the kids tore her up! I was mortified when I got home to a full page list of bad behaviors. I've been a mom long enough to know that part of that was because she was a new (to them) sitter and they were testing her, but it makes me leery about leaving them with someone else. Again, last month I had to give a presentation at work at a time when the kids were having a weather delay from school. Ken was also busy at work, so I brought them in with me and made arrangements for my regular sitter to take them to school that morning. Well, as you might guess from the tone of this paragraph, they tested her too!!

I know that I need to get over this fear of leaving them with someone else, but I hate the thought of them misbehaving for other people. I'm anxious as to how they are doing with my parents this week, to be honest. I also know that my mom won't tell me if they misbehave, but my younger brother will be a good snitch, so I plan on contacting him after they return for the real story.


Even though I've got some disappointments here, I'm heartened to see the progress as well. I think it's a good idea to keep an eye on your goals and assess yourself on a regular basis. Even slow movements forward are positive. By keeping my triumphs and failures in the front of my mind, I will make my goals a reality this year!

20 comments :

  1. Aw, yay for your blog doing so well and also so glad that you are a community lead now for SITS with me 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for the goals you have reached. Building up readership and increasing social media followers isn't easy, but you've managed it.


    Now you've just got to get a dog (you'll have to walk then!). The warmer weather will make it easier for you to get out and about to walk. You can do it!


    Is it illegal to duck tape your children? At least then they can't run circles around the baby sitter if they're taped to a kitchen chair...Just a thought...


    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's highs and lows with any goals, so the trick is to keep at it and don't get discouraged. Great job on the social media stats though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you with SITS!!!! That's fantastic!! I was planning on owing a resolution review at the end of March thinking I would do them quarterly, but here it is April 1st and I haven't done it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Date nights can be tough to arrange. I try to do them once a month with my husband. Obviously now we can't, since he's gone, but when he gets back I hope we can try once a month dates.


    I try to do 10,000 steps a day. I go on a 3 mile walk when I can. I do NOT do this on weekends though. They are my break days ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - hooray for all the growth on social media sites!!!
    This week I haven't been working out (rare, but needed!) and my steps are way down.
    Hope you are enjoying your week without kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the social media increases! This is going to be a great blogging year for you! I am sorry to hear about the date night imbroglio. We haven't gone o a date since... I can't even remember when, we have a 13 year old babysitter in house, it just seems so hard to get the energy up to feeding them, all getting dressed and go out! Lame, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic that you met your social media goals and becoming a SITS Community Lead! Those are reasons to smile for sure. I'm sorry about your date night fiasco, though. Hoping that improves- have you gone out while you've had the house to yourselves this week?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Julie! i think I'm making good progress in most places. if I'm not I need to know why so I can work harder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ken works so many nights and weekends, that I feel like it take a special kind of miracle for all the factors to line up correctly. We need to take advantage of lunch dates when he's not working and I can take an hour off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on becoming a SITS community leader! I hope the situation with the kids works out soon. Have a fantastic, healthy April!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear ya on the babysitting front. The last two times my husband and I went out, our eldest surprised us by testing the babysitters and acting up (which he hadn't been doing with us). I agree they're just testing the sitters but it doesn't make it easy to go out again, knowing that trouble can brew. I just feel so bad for the sitters (though I guess they figure that's normal).

    I have terrible numbers with my pedometer, too. I average about 3,000 a day when I'm at work. Talk about lazy. I've been trying to work out every day or at least every other day though.

    And great job on the blog! Looks like you're doing real well with increasing your social media numbers. I've been focusing on Pinterest these last few weeks. I did a crazy Twitter increase several months ago but still haven't really gotten a ton of traffic from there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello fellow SITS Girl. :),
    I hear you about the kids situation. I have three kids, and they make me nervous taking them anywhere myself. This is especially true of my three year old. I hope you find a babysitter that knows how to put them in their place straight away.


    I hope to increase my pageview traffic too. I'm focusing on Pinterest right now. I hope it pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's great that you are doing so well with your blog goals! Love that you have already met some of your goals for the year, too. Looking forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for being a community lead like me!
    These are similar goals to mine. And I need to drink more water.
    Well it took until April, but they're all finally happening!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks Corinne! My babysitter actually read this post and got mad that I think my kids are unruly!She's keeping them Saturday morning, while I work, so we'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nina, my babysitter actually got mad at me when she read this post. She said they are nowhere near as unruly as some other kids she's sat for. She going to help me out Saturday morning, so we'll see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My regular sitter is keeping them on Saturday, and she's excited. We'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Wendy! It's been a good year so far, and looking even better in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Tamara! I just drafted my first post for SITS today. It's sort of about photos, so I thought of you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...