Thursday, April 24, 2014

#AskAwayFriday with Tracie from From Tracie

Happy Friday friends! It's been a whirlwind week for me: I've spent a ton of money at work (not my money, obviously), there were two meetings, choir practice, soccer practice, and ballet for the kids. There was a night where we needed to be in three different places at the same time and I had to call in a friend to help out. But now it's the end of the week and I'm looking forward to the weekend. I'm back on board with the newly re-designed #Ask Away Friday and this week I'm excited to pair up with Tracie from From Tracie. Tracie is a wife and mom living in sunny Florida. She is an advocate against child abuse and has lots of great resources for parents and survivors. I love reading her blog because she's a really down to earth person and I can really relate to her way of doing things. Read on for answers to the questions she asked me and then hop over to her place to see how she responded to my questions.
 

1. You are a published author (which is amazing, by the way, congratulations!), so let's talk books. What is your favorite book now, and what was your favorite book or series when you were a kid?

I read a lot of young adult novels these days. I am surrounded by them at work and it seems that after the third time I check a book out, I'm intrigued enough to try it myself. I really enjoyed reading the Hunger Games series recently. I'm waiting to read the Divergent series until the semester is over and I've got some more space in my head.

As a kid, I devoured the Baby Sitters Club books. I spent all my babysitting money and allowance on them. I remember my mom getting mad about how many I owned, and now she's threatening to give them all to Frances since they're all in the closet of my old bedroom!

2. We both have ten year old tween girls. I love that because it doesn't feel like there are as many parents of tweens and teens in the blogosphere. What does your daughter think of your blog, and does she like it when you write about her?

Frances likes my blog. She's read it a few times and she seems fine that I write about her. She even guest posted for me once. She's asked me a few times to take pictures or videos and post them. There are a few topics that I have asked her about and she has declined making them public. I think that helps her to know that she has the final say on what is said about her.

3. Do you have a quote or message that sums up the way you live your life?
My life verse is Psalm 118:24. I try to always keep in mind that no matter what happens, this day was created for me by God and whatever happens is part of His plan. Obviously that's harder to do on difficult days, but I still say it to myself and carry on through the day. I put it on my license plate on my car too.

4. You have written about living in a small town before. Do you ever see yourself moving to a big city, or is this the place you plan to keep as your forever home?

Big towns are fine for a visit, but I wouldn't want to live in one. I think I am very fortunate because even though the town I live in is fairly small, it's a college town so there are lots of cultural opportunities you probably wouldn't find in other towns of this size. Lots of people get annoyed with the noise and problems that college students bring to an area, but I really see the good side of them so much more often. There is a fraternity that sponsors my daughter classroom. They do fundraisers for the students, the college guys come on field trips and they volunteer in the classroom. The 4th graders adore their college buddies and those frat boys love hanging out with 10 year olds!

5. Easter just passed (I loved your family's Easter pictures, y'all were the perfect amount of matchy to be super cute), and I still haven't eaten all the day-after-Easter-sale-candy. What is your favorite holiday?

Easter is my favorite holiday. Not the bunny-Easter, but the Jesus-Easter. I don't dislike the bunny-Easter, but the Jesus-Easter just has so much history and meaning for me. I love going to all the services from Holy Thursday, to Good Friday, to the Easter Mass on Sunday morning. There is such joy there! The whole point of being a Christian is really summed up in those three days and I love participating in it every year.

6. What is something you look back on and think, "I can't believe I did that, but I wouldn't go back and change it!"

I usually have a plan. Nothing very formal, but usually at least an idea of what's going on. Except one time I made a rash decision to quit a job with no idea what was going to ahppen next. I really needed to quit because the position was becoming toxic and unhealthy for my peace of mind; but I was also terrified of what would happen when I suddenly caused our income to be cut almost in half. We had three kids and I had no prospects. Thankfully, I stumbled across a listing for the job I am currently in, and I couldn't be happier about where I work and the people I get to work with.

7. What is your favorite tv show (or shows, if you are like me and can't pick just one)?

Right now I am watching Castle, but horribly behind. We also watch Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, and Grimm. Don't tell Ken I said so, but I actually enjoy watching the British version of Top Gear with him. We haven't watched Bones in a while because we missed a few episodes, but I need to get back to those. I love Buffy the Vampire SLayer and I have watched the entire series straight through at least twice.

8. How do you approach social media, and what is your favorite platform?

I've been really bad with social media lately. It was the thing that really "went" when I got behind with blogging. I check Facebook most regularly, then Twitter, then Instagram. I like Facebook, but I haven't been interacting there very often; even on my personal page. I've been doing an Instagram Photo a Day challenge for April. I missed a few prompts, but I've posted a lot more than usual there. I use Pinterest in fits and spurts. I pin things for myself, but I don't often browse through other people's pins.

9. What is the most important thing you have learned through blogging?

I think the most important thing I've learned is that I'm not alone. I know now that we all have meltdowns, we all get ticked off at our kids and husbands, we all worry about money and stress about getting dinner ready. I think what I've really learned that across humanity we are really more alike than we are different.

10. What is your favorite blog post that you have written?

I really like the Bunny Chasing tutorial I wrote a long time ago because it brings backs such vivid memories from the past. I also like the post I wrote about friendships because it speaks of the many different people we each need in our lives. Lastly, I love the post I wrote for my mom on her birthday a few years ago. She's so special to me and she has taught me so much that I enjoyed being able to write it down and share it with her.

TamaraLikeCamera

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...