Friday, May 31, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Imagine

So, set your timer, clear your head, for five minutes of free writing without worrying about getting it right.

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..

OK, are you ready? Please give me your best five minutes on:::

Imagine…

GO

"Mommy?  Why does the letter x sound like it has an "s" in it?"

My mornings often start out with such questions.  My kids are all great wonder-ers.  They are learning and discovering so many new things every day and they come up with some great questions.  Especially early in the morning. I like to think it's because their brains have been examining and filing away information all night and picking out a few things to mull over.

They've got such a new outlook and perspective on the world.  I read a blog post yesterday (forgive me for not being able to remember right off where it came from) about a child listening to a pop love song on the radio and relating it to leaving her mom behind in the mornings as she went to school.  I love that perspective!

Sometimes I miss that child-like view of the world.  I wish I could see tings their way.  I wish I could go back to a place where you could imagine all sorts of different things.

That makes me appreciate it that much more when I see it in my children.  To marvel at the glow in their eyes as they think a new thought that has never been thought before.  To enjoy their questions even when they confuse me. And typically refuse to give them answers.

"I don't know why x sounds like it has an "s" in it.  Why do you think it does?"

STOP


EDIT: I found the post from yesterday. It was a guest post of at Momastery. You should check it out.

And speaking of guest posts, I have one today over at Cluttered Genius.  It's all about chores and chores charts.  Go check it out! 

6 comments :

  1. I love your appreciation of your kids' imaginations! Savor these moments, my friend, they pass quickly! Visiting form FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that story about the pop love song. My daughter asks a lot of good questions and sadly, it makes me realize how little I know sometimes and what I can't remember from years of schooling. Luckily there's Google on my phone for those times I really want to answer correctly..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids do have such active and wonderful imaginations. It's a shame adults tend to lose that as we get older. It's really a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way children look at things - their imaginations are fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I think I replied to Frances on the same blog, right? I did find you on Twitter on #fiveminutefridays. Great to meet you. And yes let's keep our childlike perspective.
    I am now going to post my Creative Saturdays - have been playing with Obleck. :)
    Blessings
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...