Thursday, March 7, 2013

SnowPocalypse 2013

After missing school at least three times for what amounted to really cold rain, the kids finally have some snow to talk about. Over a foot!! My parents, just south of us, didn't get anything at all. We got so much that Ken's store and my university both closed. In fact JMU closed for two days! It's Spring Break for the students, and now it's Spring Break for the staff!

We had a big breakfast of sausage, eggs, and muffins and then began the long, grueling task of collecting winter wear: clean underwear, tights, socks, leggings, corduroys, tank tops, t shirts, long sleeves and sweater. Over all of that went snow suits, jackets, hats, gloves, scarves and boots. I even remembered to have the kids go potty before they started!!

We went out and tried getting out the front door. Ken had shoveled the walk before he had gone to check on the store, but it had snowed another few inches after that. Benjamin kept getting stuck by walking into snow that was up to his waist.

We eventually made it down the street and had fun sledding down the road by our house. Then we went to our neighbor's house and built her a snowman right by her back door.

When Ken got back, we went to a different part of the street to sled and throw snowballs. Henry had fun just diving into snow piles. Frances tried building a snow fort, but I'm not sure how far she actually got.

After about two hours we came in for lunch (tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches) and the a 'nap.' I think Ken was the only one who actually slept. We did some housework and I got started on dinner before we went back out to build a family snowman. All in all, it was a great day. It was also the first time we've had a day together as a family in a very long time. And we get to spend today together too!





























7 comments :

  1. O my gosh, look at that snow! I can't wait to move back to the east coast and be in seasons again. We are currently stationed in California and when I showed my 4 year old a pic of his cousins playing in the snow in VA, he asked if they went to visit Tahoe. haha He has no idea that it snows in places besides there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you all are making the most of Snowpocalypse! Sometimes it takes a few inches of white snowy goodness to bring the family all together! Excellent!! --The Dose Girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is legit snow! We got about 4 inches of super-wet snow but the kids got a good deal of play out of it. Maybe next winter we'll have a real snowstorm in Northern VA! And grilled cheese & tomato soup is the perfect way to warm up, now I'm craving it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word! Here we are in Richmond, VA pretending that yesterday was some kind of snowstorm. Let me take this pic to the school board as evidence that school should not have been closed! The kids would love to win the prizes from my first KIDS GIVEAWAY. Please visit http://be-quoted.com/?p=753 to enter! Visiting from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely snow day! They had lots of fun, too! When I was in high school, I took my own snow day to celebrate a rare snowstorm, and built a snow pig complete this apron and broom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me happy! Love the pictures and the fun. Snow is one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! And great pictures! We were supposed to get some snow but I think we're getting anywhere from nothing to eight inches before tomorrow night. No one really knows. Although we did get two feet recently and it was very fun to build snow forts and snow castles and to stick the baby in the snow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...