Thursday, January 3, 2013

Hello 2013! Resolutions for the New Year

Well, Christmas Break is over (for me, the kids still have two more days) and I am back at work.  We had a great break with lots going on that I plan to blog about at some point.  I also have some posts about Christmas gifts that I made to write this week.  Mostly I just wanted to write down my New Year's Resolutions. I usually don't write them down or tell anyone about them because I don't want to feel guilty about not accomplishing things.  This year I decided that I am going to write them down publicly so I can be held accountable.  So, here are my goals for 2013:

  • Lose 12 pounds. I was going to say 10, but I decided to go for 12-one per month.  See, nice and easy!
  • Exercise more. This one is hard to commit to with a broken toe, but I *will* get back to it when I can run again. 
  • Get rid of stuff.  We have a problem at our house-not enough room for all the stuff we have.  I am scheming for a way to get more space, but in the meantime, we just need less stuff.  I already condensed Christmas from 6 or 7 random boxes of stuff to about 3 or 4.  I put all the tree stuff in one box, all the house stuff in another and cards and crafts in a third. Of course we have two trees in their own boxes, but they don't take up much room and all those containers are now neatly stacked in my basement.  I have two boxes full of gift bags in my van to donate to the kids' school and I got rid of two boxes of trash. I *did* save one box full of "nice stuff that we never use" because I figure I can sell it next year.   
    The whole bottom right corner of this picture is stuff I got rid of!
  • Pray more. Fr. Silvio said something at Mass the other day about how easy it is to give thanks for opening your eyes every morning.  It is a blessing to wake up and greet a new day and I am going to treat it as one.  So before I even get out of bed each morning, I am going to say a prayer to get my day off on the right foot.
  • Save money. Part of my scheming for more space involves improving the house we have to getting a new one. Both of those choices will take an extraordinary amount of money, so we have got to start saving more.
  • **Editing to add blogging** I really enjoy writing out our daily stories of life. I love being able to go back and relive moments from the past. I am  trying to blog every day (except weekends) and this year I want to be more purposeful about that!
  • Plan better. One of the things I hated most when I was teaching, was the writing of lesson plans.  I always had a general sense of where things were going and specific ideas for specific days, but the times when I had a fully written plan with objectives and goals were the lessons that went the best.  I need to do this in life. I've been meal planning and keeping a calendar of activities and events, but I still need more. I need to plan my week with goals and objectives. With a list of things that should get done by the end of the week and a schedule of how those things happen, I feel like I can make our house (and my head) run more smoothly.
  • Be a better example to my children. I think that by accomplishing the things I stated above, I will be well on my way to being a better example for my kids, but I want to have this as an underlying goal for the year. New Year's Resolutions are not just about improving myself. They are about improving everything I come in contact with. And the most important "things" I have regular contact with are my children.  Improving myself will help them to improve themselves. All we'll all be happier in 2013!
The boys playing "Dueling Dustbusters" in the living room.  See?! Cleaning can be fun!!

10 comments :

  1. Great goals! Especially love your last one of being an example. Youa re right, just setting the goals and follwoing through on doing something related to the goals IS setting a good example!

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I should add get rid of stuff to my list! That is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I relate to a lot of the things you mention in your list. I find that planning meals and writing things down has helped me to feel more organized, so I want to continue doing that this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kim! Hope you have a great 2013!

      Delete
  4. Such a nice post. One of my resolutions is to pray more, too. We have a neighbor who is contentious and I've been praying for her. No specifics, just a Hail Mary every morning. I also like the 12 pounds may they work out to 24 instead because you have a good heart. I'm popping in from your comment on my website about having no time for hobbies. I looked at your picture of your family and thought, duh. Here's the trick, try and get your kids to do a hobby you can enjoy, too. This is a great way to spend time with your children and it will fill your creative part, too. Anyway, you have a lovely website. Thanks for the visit. Best wishes in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter loves sewing and so do I. We just need to keep the boys out of the way!

      Delete
  5. Need less stuff. This should be my ONLY resolution! Man, I simply have way too much stuff. I will say that I purchased a weekly planner today and I was excited for it. I hope this helps me to become more organized because some days I come home and I have to figure out if I'm coming or going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying a planner sounds like a great start! I like my online calendar from Cozi.com. There's an app to go along with it and families can easily share things. (I don't get anything out of saying that, I just like the calendar!)

      Delete
  6. Pray more and save money are both on my list too. I need to add get rid of stuff now. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good plan. I have an endless to-do list that I carry around in hopes of crossing a few off in 2013!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...