Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Stuffed Peppers

One recipe I have always wanted to try is "Stuffed Peppers."  I had them once a long time ago, and I vaguely remember them being out of a package. When I set out to make our 6-week menu plan, stuffed peppers were one thing I wanted to make sure were on there.

I scheduled them for a meatless Monday and found a recipe that sounded good. The recipe went something like this:
Collect:
  • 4-6 green peppers
  • 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
  • one large onion chopped
  • sliced mushrooms
  • herbs of choice (I think I used used Basil and Oregeno)
  • Parmesan cheese
Slice the bottom off the peppers so they sit flat and then slice the tops off and clean them out. Place them in a greased shallow pan.   Dice the pepper tops and bottoms and saute them with a diced onion.  Add the mushrooms and continue cooking. Season to taste.  Add cooked rice, mix together and heat for about 5 minutes.  Stuff mixture into peppers and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes.

I was excited to sit down to these peppers for dinner.  The kids were excited too. Especially Henry because he LOVES mushrooms. And apparently his tummy hurt because he was hungry and his mouth hurt for strange, unknown reasons.

Since the peppers took 30 minutes to cook, I thought it would be a good time to do our 30 minutes of cleaning for the evening. I was excited telling the kids how we could get our cleaning done, eat dinner and then have lots of time for tv and snuggles on the couch afterwards. 

The timer went off and I hollered for the kids to come to the table. I was on a brillance roll, so I even announced that after we said our blessing we were each going to share about someone who had done something kind for us that day.

Frances said the blessing and then Ken told us about someone who had held a door for him at his meeting.  Frances shared about the person who had helped her up after she fell at camp.  Henry screamed that his mouth hurt again and then proceeded to puke all over the table!!

Ken helped get Frances and Henry into the living room while I started with the clean up of Henry.  I got him into the tub and then cleaned up the dining room.  Henry got a shower and then came out and complained that he was hungry. We cautiously gave him some plain rice and then put him to bed.  he threw up once more (and negated the brilliance of double-sheeting the bed, because he hit the side of it.)

He slept through the night fine, but woke up early. He never ran a fever and seemed completely fine today. In fact, he ran all over my office while we were waiting for Ken to come pick him up after he got done with the shipment at work. Henry has never been one to act sick, even when he is.  When I went home for lunch he was happily watching tv and requesting a sandwich.

Ken thanked me for the stuffed peppers because they were something his mother used to make.  He had even made sure to save an extra one for his lunch today.  He said he didn't want to eat it because then it would be gone and he would miss it.  I reassured him that I would make them again...in six weeks.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...