Friday, November 4, 2016

An EnRICHing Letter

Dear Rich,

It's been a great five years, hasn't it? Well not completely great; we've all gone though some ups and downs in that time. Through it all, though, I've been able to count on this workplace as a sanctuary; a place I could go where things make sense (except for some of the Excel spreadsheets) and the routine is never far off. I've learned a lot in this job: organization, budgeting, the joy of spreadsheets matching up, the importance of accurate record-keeping, etc.

I've also learned a lot about how to treat people. Most of that I get from watching you and following your example. I've messed up a few times. I've felt bad about that, but that was internal, nothing you ever said or did. Your response has always been gentle and fair. Everything is a learning experience around here. I've tried to treat the student employees in the same way.

A job is necessary these days. People have bills to pay, groceries to buy, and families to provide for. You can't do your job unless I do mine, but I've always felt treated like a person and not just an employee. I appreciate that you are as concerned about my personal well-being just as much as my output on the job. I've worked enough places to know that isn't always the case.

In fact, I often hear other people in the building tell me how lucky I am to work for you. It's well known across this college, as well as the rest of campus what a genuine person you are. People seek you out just to say hi. They know they can count of you when there's an issue. No one is ever afraid to ask a stupid question because they know they will be treated with kindness and respect.

You do have your sense of humor, though. I've seen you freak out a few students who weren't quite familiar with your dry wit. I've taken to tell our new student employees to take everything you say with a grain of salt. Even when you try to pretend to be mean, I can see your smile.

I guess that's what you were aiming for when you asked me to write this letter. I appreciate the raise. It means a lot to our family, especially right now. I will admit to a brief moment of panic when you talked about letting me go, but that's just my experience with this year coming back to bite me. I know you would never do that. Besides you're always telling people that I run the show!

Many thanks,

~*~Rabia

Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This week 12 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.

Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts. Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:

Baking In A Tornado
Not That Sarah Michelle 
The Bergham Chronicles 
Spatulas on Parade 
Confessions of a part time working mom
The Diary of an Alzheimer’s Caregiver
Dinosaur Superhero Mommy
Climaxed 
A Little Piece of Peace 
Never Ever Give Up Hope 
Evil Joy Speaks

My subject is “Your boss tells you they're considering letting you go or giving you a $50k year raise. They're letting you help them decide what to do. You're asked to write a letter to them. What do you say in the letter?!" It was submitted by: http://berghamchronicles.blogspot.com

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...