Friday, September 30, 2016

Collecting Memories

We had a little over 13 years in our home before we collected all of our things to move on. It was a good home for us. It was the home we brought three children home to and mourned a fourth in. It was a home that saw countless birthday parties, Christmas mornings, temper tantrums, and arguments. It is the only home my children had ever known. It wasn't easy to leave, but we felt it was time.

We still don't know exactly where we'll end up. Things are stuck in limbo right now with many of our possessions in storage and many more in boxes in a rented living room. It's a good time to think of what we really need and what really matters.

I've spent the last few months collecting memories. Those blue and yellow striped walls that show up in so many of my Timehop pictures. I remember my younger brother being agitated about painting them. The way I wanted them required painting the whole room yellow and then painting 75% or it blue over top. A more reasonable person would have made thicker yellow stripes, but at seven months pregnant, I was not reasonable. I also couldn't help with any of the painting!

There are cinder blocks in front of the porch. The porch has an awkwardly high step from the sidewalk. I remember falling down that step when we were moving in. My older brother was very worried that I had hurt myself or the baby. He went straight out to Lowe's to buy cinder blocks to offset that space. I've fallen down those steps again since, but mostly because I'm clumsy sometimes.

There are so many things I will miss about this home, but I"m ready to move on and collect more memories somewhere else. Hopefully someone where we don't have to wait in line for the bathroom. Somewhere the kids can run around in the yard. A place that has plenty of room for friends and family to visit.


It's been a while since I participated in a Five Minute Friday. It's actually been a while since I blogged much at all, but I felt the need to write and this has always been a good way for me to do so. You can find the link up at Kate's blog.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...