Saturday, April 2, 2016

B: Blogging's Beginnings #AtoZChallenge


I haven't blogged on a Saturday in a long time! Technically I guess I'm still not really blogging on a Saturday, since this one will be written ahead of time and scheduled, but you know what I mean!

Yesterday I talked about myself. I hope you survived reading it! Today, I wanted to go through a brief history of my blogging. Since my theme is "Back to Basics" and I'm working to remind myself of all the things I love about blogging, I thought it appropriate.

I started this blog in December of 2007. Frances was four and Henry was 6 months old. At the time, I worked at a day care/preschool. I had two hours per day of naptime to monitor and needed something to do after my lesson plans were written and my supplies prepared. My laptop became my ever-present companion because I could see it without disturbing the sleepers in my room. With that laptop, I began reading other blogs and commenting on them. It wasn't long before I decided to jump in feet first and try out blogging for myself.

In the beginning, I only shared things with my parents, but then I began to type my URL into the comment forms in the hopes that other bloggers would visit me. I joined a few linkups and participated in some challenges. I got to know a few people and had some blogs that were daily visits for me.

After a while I was reading about more and more people who were making money from blogging and I wondered if I could do the same. We were in a place where money was always tight and I thought that if I could bring in some extra on the side, things might be a little easier.

I worked harder to post more often and to post about things I thought other people would be interested in. In the beginning I tried too hard and wore myself out. I felt like I was not always being myself. I decided that wasn't for me. However, I had enjoyed working hard and posting more often so I stuck with that. For about two years I posted every day Monday-Friday!

I've done all the design here on my own. I don't think that's bragging, by the way. There are probably easier ways to do most things, but I've enjoyed the research and learning HTML and basic coding. And I think I've gotten better.

One of my original headers. Kinda pixel-y, right?


Another header from about 4 years ago.
Recently I've cut way back. Part of that is because I like blogging about my kids, but they don't always like being written about, so I hold back on some things. I've also tried to spend less time online at home. With a full-time job, that doesn't leave much other time for writing.

These days I mostly write to give myself an outlet. I have a good tribe of friends who visit and comment regularly, and I visit them as well. I enjoy the interaction and once in a while I write something that resonates with people and I enjoy hearing that. It's also a great history of our family and the things we've done over the years.

So here we are: I'm challenging myself to post every day but Sunday for a whole month. In order for that to work out, I know I'll be pre-writing and scheduling a number of posts. I'll still be checking in and responding to comments though. To me that's an important part of this whole process.

Blogging has been quite a journey for me. There have been times when I've thought about giving it up. Then I look back on all I've written and it makes me sad to say good-bye. There are always changes and stages in life and I've found blogging to be that way too. I'm hoping this month give me the opportunity to write more without stressing so much.

Do you blog? Why did you start? Or why haven't you?


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...