Thursday, February 19, 2015

Raising Compassionate Kids #1000Speak

The sirens start and I look around in a mild panic. I know that sirens are supposed to be a warning to get people out of the way, but for some reason I can never tell which direction they come from and that makes me panic more. Thankfully I'm sitting at a traffic light, so I can't go anywhere anyway. The sound gets louder and then I see it: a firetruck with lights flashing coming around the corner and flying past us. I am taking a moment to calm down, when I hear it from the back seat.

"Mommy?" a little voice asks.

And in that moment I know what's coming next and the tears start to sting my nose.

"Yes, honey." I respond.

"Can we pray?" he asks.

I don't remember when I started it, but I do know it's been at least two years since I initiated this dialogue. I casually mentioned a long time ago that when we hear sirens we should pray for the responders and the people in need of help. Now I don't have to remind him. He mentions it all on his own each time.

I've taken to asking him to lead the prayer. He's a little shy about that because he doesn't always know what to say, but he's learning. And his heart is obviously in the right spot because he knows that when people are in need that we can pray for them.


Frances had a rough start to middle school this year. She had finally gotten into a groove with a good set of kids in 4th grade and then she had to move up to a new school with more kids. She got teased a lot at the beginning of the year. Mostly stupid reasons, like the fact that her best friends are all boys. She came home from school in tears a few times and it just broke my heart. It makes me tear up again just thinking about the broken-hearted look on my sweet girl's face.

We talked a lot about strategies for coping with the bullying. We talked about why kids bully. We talked about building her up and strengthening her character. We prayed a lot too. She found strength in those prayers especially. She started coming home happier; with a smile on her face. She was making new friends and discarding the opinions of those who had nothing kind to say.

And then we sat down to talk about it again and she told me, "Mommy, I'm glad this happened to me."

And I was very confused (as I often am as a mother).

"I don't understand, honey. Why are you glad about this?"

"Well, I'm glad it happened so that I know not to be that way to other people. I also think it's good that I can help other kids who are being bullied, because I know what it's like. I can tell them some things to do."

And I know that her heart is obviously in the right spot because she's taken a negative and used it to build herself and others up.


There's a bang and then a yell from the other room. I'm used to these sounds. As a mother, my weekends are full of bangs and yells. Some of them are (mostly) harmless and some of them mean someone has gotten hurt. I've trained myself to take a deep breath before getting up to investigate such noises. I don't want to turn into a Jack-in-the-Box!

Tiny feet run past me into the kitchen.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Ice pack!" He pants; out of breath. And he runs back out of the kitchen towards the bedroom.

Ice packs and band-aids are used quite liberally in my house. I should have bought stock in them many years ago for as quickly as we go through them. They solve a myriad of issues, even when adults wouldn't think that they are called for.

After things have apparently been taken care of, he comes out again. "Bubby fell off the bed and bumped his head on his dresser," he tells me.

"Is he okay?" I ask.

"He just needed an ice pack."

There's no real damage done. There are enough toys and blankets on the floor to cushion most falls and there don't appear to be any tears, scrapes, or bruises. And I know that the heart of even my littlest one is in the right spot, because when someone gets hurt you reach out to help them the best way you know how.



The world can be a scary place right now. There are natural and man-made disasters occurring every day. And the news coverage has gotten such that we know about every horrible thing that happens in every corner of the world almost the instant that it happens. There are more people in the world, connected in more ways than we ever though possible and yet many people feel more alone than ever before.


Lots of people have thrown out lots of suggestions for what the world really needs, but in my heart it all boils down to this: we have forgotten that we belong to each other. We need more compassion in the world. We need a feeling of connection that goes beyond Facebook friends, Instagram followers and blog subscribers.

The prefix com- in the word compassion means "with," "together," or "in association." and the word passion suggests a strong feeling. Compassion is a feeling of wanting to help others, especially those who are sick, sad, alone, or otherwise in need. If we could put aside whatever little differences we have and focus on the things that we have in common what kind of a difference could we make?


My children frequently drive me crazy, but they also teach me things every day. They show compassion for others: others they don't know, others who have hurt them, and even others they have hurt themselves. I won't lie and tell you that they never fight and are always kind to everyone, but I will tell you that at the end of the day when I hear my kids pray for those who have hurt them, pray for each other's minor boo boos, and pray for children in need all around the world, I have real hope for the world. I have real hope that the next generation will more compassionate that the one before it. And I have hope that these kids will always know that they belong to each other.

Tweet: The world could certainly use more #compassion! #1000Speak http://ctt.ec/Nu2Q1+ via @MamaRabia
The world could certainly use more compassion! #1000Speak

Do you know that today, February 20th is the United Nations Day of Social Justice? There are over 1,000 bloggers around the world joining together today to write about compassion. Maybe we can fill the newsfeeds with some hope and light and make a change. How can you show compassion today?

Read more compassion posts here:
http://1000speak.wordpress.com
http://www.indianamericanmom.com/
http://www.findingninee.com/
http://www.theqwietmuse.com
https://chronicallysickmanicmother.wordpress.com/
https://justgeneo.wordpress.com/
http://driftwood-gardens.com/
http://gettingliteral.com/
http://www.themeaningofme.com/
https://ilirianravings.wordpress.com/
http://head-heart-health.com/
https://summat2thinkon.wordpress.com/
http://yvonnespence.com/
https://littlemisswordy.wordpress.com/
http://penpaperpad.com/

Or write your own and join in on the movement. Visit the 1000 Voices Speak for Compassion Facebook page. Sign up to add your blog post to the effort. Ask to join the Facebook group. Use the hashtag #1000Speak.

 

32 comments :

  1. I agree with your thoughts, infact i too wrote about teaching our kids to be kind and compassionate. Love the quote by Mother Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are raising some pretty great kids!!! Love that they are already learning to feel and show compassion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breaks my heart to hear kids being teased, but wow, what insight your little girl has. To turn a negative situation around is pretty impressive. Rather than letting life's obstacles get her down, she uses it not only to build confidence and turn it around, but to help others in a similar situation. I'm sure you're having a proud mama moment Rabia, as you should! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rabia, I absolutely love this! I love the different levels of compassion that they show. If we don't teach them compassion and raise them to be compassionate, what kind of world would we have in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post, Rabia! The stories of your children seriously warm my heart. It sounds to me that that truly understand compassion because they see it modeled for them at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very touching and heartwarming! I am so glad to know that there are still people in this world raising their kids with awareness of compassion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of these stories! And, I love the idea that we all belong to each other. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true...Kids really are the best teachers of compassion if we just stepback and watch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mother Teresa was a wise woman, wasn't she? I'm heading over to check out your post too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really hope that's what we're instilling in them, Janine. There are lots of hopes and dreams that I have for my kids, but to be kind and compassionate is #1 on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Kim! Raising kids up right is tough work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kids are wonderful teachers! You must be very proud of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rea, I think if that's your goal, then Reiko has a good chance of getting there. Wouldn't the world be so much better off if we were just more aware of the need for compassion??

    ReplyDelete
  14. The whole teasing thing just makes me mad, but it is making her stronger so I have to be a little thankful for it. The worst part is that I have to see some of those kids on a regular person and I don't always feel like being an adult when I see them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even a selfish, ego-centric four year old can show compassion in his own little way. I wish more adults could say that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Jessica. I won't take credit ('cause then I'd have to take credit when they're being snots, too!) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope that's what they see, Bev. I'm nowhere near perfect, but I try to be a good example for them and when I mess up I apologize and try to make it right.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this movement and the idea of everyone around the world being focused on compassion. I truly think this can make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always believed that it "takes a village" so belonging to each other fits right in with that! It's a beautiful sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kids know way more than we ever give them credit for, don't they!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am very proud of them. They are good kids with kind, compassionate hearts. They don't act that way all the time, but I can still see it there.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Compassion is important. I'm sorry Frances was bullied. That's a shame. My son tends to bond more with girls, because he doesn't have a lot of common with boys his age. They're too rough for him.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rabia this just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oops sorry I hit the publish button too soon! I think your children have a wonderful teacher in you and I am sure your husband as well, to have such wonderful and compassionate hearts! Thanks for sharing their sweet and compassionate moments.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the type of compassion post that I originally thought about writing today for #1000 - teaching kids the importance of compassion. So glad I changed my mind and didn't attempt it! I could have NEVER done the topic justice in the way that you have here, Rabia! Beyond excellent! I love the examples you showed of how your children are reaping the benefits (and therefore others) of being raised by parents who help instill caring and compassion in them - how they're dealing with others because of what they're learning! The world needs billions of parents teaching these lessons! Tomorrow could indeed be better because of it! Thank you, Rabia for sharing your beautiful "voice." :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh that dear, dear girl. She knows how not to treat others. I love that so much. Scarlet is like that too. It wouldn't occur to her to be anything else, and I pray it stays that way through the much rougher years ahead. I mean, it's only kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wish kids could just be friends with whomever they choose instead of friendships having to fall within certain parameters.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks Marcia! And Thanks, too, for all your hard work on this campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It does get harder, but I know you'll stay aware and be there for her. You're in tune with your kiddos that way. You can't make it not happen, but you can help her navigate it successfully, and I think that's almost more important.

    ReplyDelete
  30. If only every set of parents would teach this generation, then would we be on to something. But obviously the children of the 4th grade class at your daughters school missed an important lesson. I always hope that kids I grew up with learned it later and grew up to be compassionate adults.


    I think now when I hear a siren, I'll do the same thing. I always feel a lurch in my heart wondering what has happened to someone somewhere but I should pray for them right then and there. I would want to the same to be done for me.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I know a lot about the backgrounds those kids come from, and it isn't pretty. But that's not really an excuse for being rude. Hopefully they are learning better now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...