Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Stuffed Jack o' Peppers

I saw an idea last week and immediately knew I had to try it. It involved Halloween and a dinner idea we hadn't had for a while: stuffed peppers. Ken grew up eating stuffed peppers. Apparently his mother made them quite often. I don't think I had even tried them before I made some for Ken about two years ago.

I think they turned out rather well and Frances and Henry loved them!

You will need

  • 5 orange bell peppers
  • 1 pound of ground beef
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 cups of cooked rice
  • 2 cups jarred spaghetti sauce, divided
  • 1 cup of shredded cheese (your choice)

Directions

  • Brown ground beef with onion and garlic until the beef is cooked through. Stir in the rice and about half the spaghetti sauce, and keep warm on the stove. 
  • Meanwhile, wash the bell peppers and remove the tops by slicing straight across. Set tops aside. Clean out the insides and carve the faces. You can be as detailed as you'd like. Toss the pieces you remove into the ground beef mixture on the stove.
  • Set your peppers in a baking dish that will hold them upright.  Spoon ground beef mixture into each pepper. Top with remaining spaghetti sauce. Put lids back on the peppers and put them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
  • When the timer beeps, remove the tops, sprinkle cheese over the peppers, and put it back in the oven until the cheese melts.
  • Place top back on and serve for dinner!


18 comments :

  1. Cool twist on a recipe! I love stuffed bell peppers and my kids loved them too when I made them this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg these are adorable and hope you will link them up at my blog today for Wonderful Wednesday a blog Hop ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, Rabia! My hubby brought home a few green peppers from the market the other day. They were huge and I commented that they'd be great for making stuffed peppers - which we hadn't had in quite a while. He loved the idea. His mom used to make them a lot as well when he was kid. So... I think I'll send him back to the market this weekend for orange peppers (if they have them) and give your excellent idea a whirl. :) Thanks so much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum - that looks tasty!!!
    BTW - I like the changes on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute and creative!! I've never seen anything like this before!! Who wouldn't love a yummy jack o pepper?!! I'm definitely making these!!! Yay!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look downright ghoulish. My girls would eat them up. They'll probably want them again in January, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frances looks adorable there. And I just came from Eli's blog in which talking about peppers became a thing.
    I saw these on Pinterest and I wondered if it would be a fail for a real person to try them, but you did not fail Pinterest at all. They look good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ironically I made stuffed peppers last night! I wish I had seen this - that would have been super fun. I know what I'm making for dinner on Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't eat them often enough. I have a feeling the kids will ask for these again because it was such a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Janine! I did add myself to the linkup. Thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was thinking that you could turn the green ones into a witch and the red ones into little devils. That would be so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a hit on both counts, Echo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Kim! I love the new look too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So easy, so fun, so delicious! Hope your family loves them as much as mine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You could eat them any time of the year! You could make bunnies at Easter!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would call this a definite Pinterest WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your kiddos will love them, Alexa! And they're so easy to do!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...