Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Ten Phrases that are Almost Never Good News

I've been having fun lately with my Ten on Tuesday lists!  I had "one of those days" last week that just screamed out to be included in a list, so here it is:


10 Phrases that are Almost Never Good News

  1. "We need to talk"  Whether this is from your spouse, your child's teacher or your boss, you are rarely being invited to talk about good news.
  2. "Wait til you hear what junior did/said today!"  Sometimes this is a slight variation of the above, it has been known to occasionally herald good news or a funny story.  Occasionally!
  3. "Where's the shutoff valve for the water??"  When asked in a panicked voice, this usually means something is flooding somewhere!
  4. "That's gonna leave a mark!"  Usually said after someone and something collide in a violent manner.  
  5. "I found that {lunch box, sippy cup, coffee mug} we've been looking for!"  If you hear this within a day of looking for said object, it's not too bad.  If you hear this a week or two after the item went missing, just toss it in the trash.  You don't want to even think about looking inside!  P.S. The sippy cup is almost always under the bed.
  6. "What's that smell?!?"  This one totally depends on the tone and facial expression. The younger your children, the more likely that this statement is not good news.
  7. "Why is this wet?"  Spots on the floor, counter tops, furniture...it seems like I am always asking this question in my house.  And even if it's only water, it's still in a place that shouldn't be wet!
  8. "I forgot my {homework, soccer cleats, ballet shoes, etc.}"  I don't know about your house, but this phrase is almost always uttered withing 2 miles of the destination.
  9. "PAPER TOWELS!!!"  In my house this is what an emergency request for cleaning supplies sounds like.  Doesn't matter what the mess is, apparently if you yell "paper towels" at the top of your voice (as opposed to, you know, going to get some yourself...) all messes will be taken care of.
  10. "oops"  Yeah, this one is never good!

13 comments :

  1. We need to talk and what's that smell. Never ever good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a few "what's that smell" incidents in the kitchen that had me contemplating moving to a new house!!

      Delete
  2. The sippy cup is usually under the bed at our house, too! I agree with your choices - these things are never usually good news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha! These are ALL so true! Let's just say we had a sippy cup incident a few years ago...our entire family STILL talks about it! ;) Cracking up at this list!-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I helped a friend move beds in her house and we found a sippy underneath. I was just glad I wasn't the only one that happens to!!

      Delete
  4. Oh, the old sippy cups filled with milk. So..disgusting. I almost can't talk about that one. It would make a good science project, either way. And "We need to talk" are my least favorite four words in the English language! At least when they're said together..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious! In our house, "MOM!!!" screamed in panic is never a good sign. And definitly, "What's that smell?" is NEVER good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do a Tuesday Ten, too!! :-) This is a great list and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "We need to talk" followed by "Close the door" uttered by a boss. ::shudder::

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the laugh. My kids are young so we don't even ask what the smell is. We just start negotiating about who's going to take care of it. Happy Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...