Friday, July 19, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Belong


1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community...


Five minutes on belong...

GO 


My house is such a mess right now.  We are getting ready for a friend's yard sale.  She's borrowing my yard.  It's not even my sale.  That's what I tell myself to take the pressure off.  I might put some stuff in it, though. It would be kind of silly not to.

I usually don't peek at other people's posts before I write my five minute Friday.  I want mine to be authentic.  But I just know that today people will be writing about a sense of belonging.  I love that feeling.  To belong somewhere.  But today all I can see in my head is the stuff that doesn't belong: on the floor in the living room, stacked on the cabinet in the bathroom, piled in the kitchen.  That stuff doesn't belong there. I want it gone!  I want it put away or out of my house.  Actually I want it in a different house.  A house with two bathrooms and more than three kitchen drawers.

I don't want to be in this house anymore.  We've outgrown it.  We've looked into moving.  We're not underwater with our mortgage.  The good news is we could break even!  But how do we get a bigger house in a better neighborhood for the same price as what we've got now??

I miss that sense of belonging.  Of satisfaction with what I've got.  And in reality I understand that it's my responsibility to change my own attitude about it.  I've got to make myself be okay with what we've got.  Because no matter where we are, we will always be right where God has placed us.  And in the end, that's the only place we truly belong.

16 comments :

  1. I love your last line. I love that you can have moments of dissatisfaction and still come back to this peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to feel like you belong in the midst of turmoil. Kudos to you for seeing through the chaos to find God.

    Laura Hedgecock
    http://www.TreasureChestofMemories.com
    http://www.twitter.com/LauraLHedgecock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly isn't easy, Laura. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Visiting from SITS site and I love your line "Because no matter where we are, we will always be right where God has placed us" it is indeed true - even though a big d=time struggle to come to terms with, at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that last sentence, too. We all have times when we feel this way. It takes a grounded person to realize that and remember what really counts! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very difficult to want something SO MUCH and not get it. It's taken me years to become even halfway at peace with some stuff I want SO MUCH. But one's reaction to not getting what one wants is what forms one's character. Does one give up or give in? Nobody knows what's right for you but God, and sometimes He ain't telling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true, Melissa. I really am trying to be at peace with what I have. Especially for the sake of my kids and how they will come to view their world.

      Delete
  6. Oops! I accidentally posted my link here -- love what you wrote and look forward to reading your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to be able to join up with someone's yard sale- my place just isn't conducive. Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am having a 'nothing is where it belongs' sort of day, too.
    Love that you came back to the sense of belonging by the end of your post - it is a good feeling to have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rabia! Visiting from Five Minute Friday. I enjoyed your post...that sense of belonging as a constant state of the present...in the here and now - we belong. Blessings to you as you help with the sale and pray for a new home- ever grateful and always a good steward over what you already have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lisha! I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  10. I love your take on this. We're currently switching all of our bedrooms around because everyone was outgrowing their current situation. It definitely helped because I wasn't feeling satisfied or like I truly belonged. I think I will now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're moving in a few months so all I can think is how to get rid of clutter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...