Friday, April 5, 2013

National Walk to Work Day 2013

Today is National Walk to Work Day! I am fortunate that I live in an area of the city that almost every place I interact with is within about a five mile radius.  In the warmer weather (that I vaguely remember at this point) our family enjoys walking to church or the grocery store on the weekends.  We don't typically walk during the week because we wouldn't get anywhere on time that way!

Apparently, this holiday falls on the first Friday of April every year.  I am fortunate that the kids are gone to Camp Grandma and Grandpa this week and I am able to participate. I have a friend that lives a bit further down the road from me and I invited him to come along.  Earlier in the week it looked like it might rain today, but instead we got freezing rain last night and a chilly, but comfortable morning this morning.

I said good bye to my van and headed out at about 7:30 to meet up with Andrew.

 Then I took a picture of my feet for the sole (hahaha, get it!?!) purpose of being annoying!!
 I waited for the crosswalk and enjoyed the morning.

I didn't take any pictures after I met up with Andrew because, frankly, that would be kinda weird and annoying.  Plus, we just enjoyed talking to each other while we walked.

We ended up only being 15 minutes late, which wasn't a problem because we had told people we were walking so they knew that was a possibility.

Most of the news I see about today's observance talks about the health benefits and the cost-savings of walking to work.  My commute is less than 5 miles round trip and I've got kid pickups and drop offs along the way, so walking every day is not realistic.  I did enjoy the exercise this morning and hope to be able to participate again. 


8 comments :

  1. It's awesome that you put the "holiday" into action! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahahah!! Well if you were supposed to walk HOME they should have included that in the official title, too!
    This was so nice. Although impractical for EVERY day, it would be nice to do this periodically! --Lisa
    Ps. Love your cute stripey pants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome - how fun that you did this. It would be a nice way to start the morning, but not realistic every day. And asking for a ride home was priceless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I walk to work every working day—all the way to my little office in our house. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from #SITSSharefest

    I walk all the time being from NY! We usually measured our time in blocks so I walked one day from 42nd street to 135th street. But when we moved down here to Florida, no one seems to walk but we do ti all the time. Probably twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Stopping by from #SITSSharefest. Good for you! That's so awesome that you participated in walk to work day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun! When I lived in NYC, it was always Walk To Work Day! I miss the opportunities just to use my feet, living in Orlando. I'm in NYC now for a writers conference and I've loved just walking everywhere again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the "it's not walk home from work day, too?" Too funny! I wish I lived close enough to my work that I could walk!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...