Thursday, February 7, 2013

Valentine Bracelets

I love Valentine's Day for my kiddos. I think it's a great time to say nice things to their classmates and talk about friendship.  I also think it's great for practicing writing your name and using good penmanship.  Unfortunately, It is also a sugar-rich holiday.  In trying to avoid that and think of something that my kids would have fun making and giving out to their friends, I came up with these bracelets.


"Valentine, you're "turtle-y" awesome!"
I went to Michael's and found a few bead assortments.  One of them was aquatic animals: turtle, whale, seal, and dolphin.  The other was all different kinds of beads and included a fish, cat, dog and teddy bear.

I also bought some stretchy cord and a bag of pony beads.

I then created some valentine cards to go along with each of the featured beads.

You can download my cards here if you would like.

Set all this out and let the kids go to town making bracelets for their friends!  The teacher in me can't help saying that this project is great for practicing fine motor skills, counting, patterning, and writing their own names and their classmate's names.  It is also a great was to stimulate some conversation about friendship and what's going on with their lives.

Have you made Valentine's yet with your kids?



Linking up here:
Creative K Kids

20 comments :

  1. These are cute and I love the practicing penmanship idea! But come on, sweets are the best part about Valentines day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not wrong! And those delicious pictures on your blog are amazing!

      Delete
  2. What a sweet activity! I can't wait until my little one is old enough to do things like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll love it! It's a great quiet activity. As soon as you can be sure she won't eat the beads, you'll be all set!!

      Delete
  3. My daughter beads bracelets all the time - but what a great idea for all of them to participate and make gifts fro their friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is always begging to do craft projects with me. She loves this idea!

      Delete
  4. Oh what fun, I'm looking forward to when my daughter gets a little older and can make this kind of stuff (not rushing time, because I'm enjoying her not being all over the place yet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, once they start moving, they don't ever stop! I'm sure she'll enjoy things like this when she gets older.

      Delete
  5. Cute! You are doing nothing to stave off my baby hunger ;) I can't wait to be a mom and do fun projects like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a mom is awesome (and hard, but mostly awesome!)

      Delete
  6. Cute idea for kids! I've got some beads, I think I'll create something similar. Thanks for sharing - @MaricrisG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, I enjoy playing with beads just as much as the kids do! Have fun!

      Delete
  7. What a cute idea for Valentines! As we're in the process of getting snowed in at the moment, making Valentines with my 2 "big" kids is on the agenda for tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! I am not super "crafty". I'm more "arty" and say things like "Here's a pile of glitter, glue and doilies! Make something." :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable idea! And I'm not crafty in the least, but I think I could even pull that off.

    Stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  10. stopping over from sits. what a fun project to do with your kids. i don't have any children, but i do love doing projects for valentine's... but i don't have the will power to avoid sugar like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute idea! We also made some Valentine's necklaces, but with cardboard rolls, since my girls are still too young for real beading

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great idea! Thanks for linking up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party. I have pinned your post to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...