Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I Like Eggs and Plants, but not Eggplants

Growing up my family always had a large garden.  We grew tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, a lots of other fresh veggies. We also had raspberries. I remember our neighbor, Myrtle would come over and help herself to our garden--with our permission of course. She loved picking raspberries. One year she had Thanksgiving dinner with our family. My mom offered her some of my grandmother's cranberry sherbet.  She replied that she didn't want any because she didn't like getting the seeds in her teeth. That never stopped her from picking raspberries, though!!
Having the garden was great because we rarely had to buy vegetables. I wasn't a fan of squash growing up, but I think I liked more vegetables than most of my friends. We even grew some interesting vegetables that I've not seen in stores, like kohlrabi.

We don't have a good garden space at our house.  Our backyard is shaped like a slice of pie and heads downhill into a sink hole.  Our front yard is already littered with the kids' outdoor toys, but last year we decided to try some container gardening.  We figured that containers wouldn't tear up the yard too badly for future homeowners, but would still allow us to have some fresh veggies.   Last year we had a pretty good harvest.  We grew squash, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, and green peppers. 

This year, we've not had good luck.  We planted squash, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers.  The only thing we will be able to harvest is the tomatoes.  I'm not sure if it's a matter of the extraordinarily hot weather, me not watering as well, or something else.

Thankfully, though, this summer Ken and I split a farm share with some friends from Radical Roots Farm.  We are thoroughly enjoying it!  Every other week when our turn comes, we get a bushel basket full of fresh veggies straight from the garden.  It's been great because there is a good variety of veggies and they are grown locally and organically.  It also gives us the chance to try some new things that we wouldn't normally buy in the stores.  As it turns out, my kids LOVE Swiss chard!

However, this week, I was dealt quite the hand...We got an eggplant.  I don't like eggplant.  I don't even know why. I honestly don't know the last time I tried it. I can hear my grandmother in my head saying, "You have to try at least a bite!"  But, I DON'T WANNA!!  I feel like such a hypocrite because I make my kids try things they don't like.  Over and over again, in fact. I've told Frances that you have to try a new food 27 times before you can decide whether you like it or not.  She's actually come around on a few things. I used to not like zucchini or squash, but I eat those on a regular basis now.

So, I'm going to be a big girl. I'm going to cook that eggplant.  I'm going to serve it at dinner and eat it with my family. Can you help me out, though?  Do you know any good recipes?

1 comment :

  1. Eggplant Parmesian! I don't have exact amounts, but I usually cook without specific recipes. I'm sure you can find a good one, on line.
    Peel and slice eggplant(usually two) into round 1/4 inche slices. Dip in beaten egg (1-2) and breadcrumb/parmesian cheese mixture(1-1/2 cub of each) with italian seasonings(oregano, basil, ground pepper). Place on baking sheet and Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
    The rest of the process is like making lasagna- layers of pasta sauce (1 jar), eggplant, and mozarella cheese (2 cups). Sprinkle parmesian cheese over top. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

    Farmhouse Veggie Burger
    Here is a link for our favorite type of veggie burger, made with eggplant. Great with a sauce of mayonaise, honey mustard, and barbeque sauce mixed together:
    http://www.thefarmcafe.com/2010/06/29/how-to-make-the-farmhouse-veggie-burger/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...