Monday, June 11, 2012

Strep Sucks!

Friday is was so tired I chugged a Cherry Pepsi to try and stay awake at work. It didn't really work; it made me stop yawning but it gave me a killer stomachache because I don't usually drink sugary stuff or caffeine. Saturday morning I didn't feel any better, but I walked up the street to the playground with Ken and the boys. We played until lunchtime and came home. After lunch Ken went to work and the boys took a nap. I had a million things to do to get ready for Henry's birthday party, but all I wanted to do was lay down! I had a funeral to attend that afternoon, so after naps I took the boys over to a friend's house for a playdate. I felt fine at the funeral just a little emotional and still kinda tired. When I picked up the boys I visited for a bit, but really wanted to get home. On the way home I was struggling to stay awake and my throat was getting scratchy. We got home at seven. I told Henry to get his pajamas on and he could watch tv. I laid down on the couch under a blanket and just started shaking. I took my temperature and it was 102. I slept on the couch off and on until Ken got home at 10:30 and he put the boys to bed. I went through cycles of hot and cold all night: cold-put on blanket, get sweaty-take of blanket, cold because of sweat-blanket on with feet sticking out, lather, rinse, repeat. Sunday morning I knew I was really sick and I was pretty sure it was strep. I checked with my doctor's office (not open at all) and I checked with urgent care (not open til 1) before calling the doctor on call for my doctor's office. He informed me that strep was not technically an emergency, but if my throat was really halfway shut and I was in that much pain I could go to the ER. So I did. They didn't even swab my throat! I guess the visual exam was enough! I cried the whole time I was there-partly because I was sick and in pain, but also because I was tired and emotional from being sick and because I was going to miss Henry's birthday party. They gave me a combo of meds I've never had before-an antibiotic, a medicine to reduce swelling, and "pink magic"-liquid Lidocaine to numb my tonsils. The Lidocaine worked, but not for long. My mom says I should have taken it after the other meds, but I took it first so I could get the horse pills antibiotics down. I slept most of Sunday and cried when I missed Henry's party. Thank goodness it was at a park and not at our house! I feel a bit better now. I think I still have a slight fever, and my throat is back to scratchy. I am starving because all I've eaten in the past 36 hours is half a yogurt and half a can of tomato soup. It's still hard to swallow and food seems to taste gross. I'm staying home from work today and my mom has the boys this week, so I hope to get some good rest.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...