Saturday, December 11, 2010

Confessions of a Cranky Mommy

I didn't sleep well last night.  I got home late from a staff Christmas party and didn't get the kids into bed until 10:15.  I went to bed with aspirations that they would sleep late in the morning and we could have a lazy day.  NOPE!!  Frances woke up in the middle of the night (3:45) and threw up.  Apparently she knew it was coming because she told me she tried to hold her mouth closed, but she couldn't.  She threw up all over herself in the middle of the bed.  On the top bunk.  Yuck! She also yelled my name three or fours times and woke up both of her brothers.
I got both boys out of bed and out them in bed with Ken.  Then I got her out of bed and into the shower.  She sat in the bath while I collected her sheets and got them into the washing machine. Thankfully, I had two sets of sheets (separated by a vinyl mattress cover) on her bed, so I didn't have to re-make her bed.
I cleaned Frances up in the tub and got her dressed in new pajamas.  She got back into bed and went back to sleep.  Then I changed my clothes and got Benjamin. He usually wakes up around 4:30 anyway, so I went ahead and nursed him and put him back in the crib.  Then I went back to sleep on the couch (since Henry was in my spot).
Henry woke up at about 5 and came out to me on the couch.  So I slept with him there until he woke up at 7. His first words, as always, were, "Mommy, I hunkry."  So I got up and got him some yogurt and turned on Curious George. I laid back down on the couch for about 30 minutes before the rest of the household was up.
These are the thoughts that went through my mind in all of this ordeal last night:

  • If you knew you were going to throw up, why couldn't you make it to the bathroom?
  • Why do you have to yell and wake up both brothers?
  • Why is Henry such a bed hopper?
  • Which is worse: Giving in and letting him sleep where he wants so he doesn't scream and wake up his siblings? or Insisting that he sleep in his bed and risk waking up everyone else?
  • When will Henry be old enough to get his own breakfast in the morning so I can stay in bed longer?
  • Should I teach him how to use the tv so I don't have to do it or would he abuse this knowledge?
I didn't say any of these things out loud. I am only venting them here. Writing them down actually helps give me the perspective I need to not be so annoyed.  I am thankful that Frances is most likely not sick and is merely reacting to her antibiotic.  I know that Henry will grow up all too soon and I will regret wishing away his neediness.  Benjamin has been sleeping SO much better lately, that it only took a second to get him back to sleep after nursing.

Over.
Done.
Enough about that.

1 comment :

  1. As frustrating as I know this was, it is funny to read. How come you did not mention this last night when I talked to you? Hope you slept better last night and hope tonight goes well!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...