Monday, September 4, 2017

One Week Down

It was a good summer, but I've been anxious to get back to school for a while now. Since we moved twice last year, once near the end of the school year, I feel like we haven't been able to settle into a good routine yet. And I'm all for spontaneity, but routines and habits are what settle me down. It's good for the kids too.      

For the most part, the kids have been excited about the beginning of the school year too. Henry has been the most excited. He had a phenomenal year last year and he's looking to top it this year. Frances is feeling torn, but she's a teen and apparently they tend to do that. She's looking forward to seeing her friends again, for sure. Benjamin had such a rough year last year that I think he's just been worried that nothing will have changed.

But the good news is that we all survived the first week! I got my new students mostly trained and up to speed. Frances got her two favorite electives (drama and French). Henry is in the same classroom as last year with a new teacher he already knows. Ben has a "boy teacher" and couldn't be more excited!

Fake glass, FYI. There's no lenses.
We still have this week before all the after-school stuff starts, so there's a bit of a slow start to the year. I'm good with that. I still haven't figured out how to juggle all of their activities. In fact, I mentioned to Frances that her dance classes were going to be hard to work around and she might have to make some sacrifices and she replied, "I can do that Mommy. If I want these things, I've got to figure out how to make it work." I was impressed with the maturity her thoughts reflected. We'll see how it pans out.

We had a few laughs with school notes and assignments. Poor Frances misunderstood the instructions given to her for her Algebra class and ended up doing 9 pages of homework, instead of 9 problems! 😮 We had a good talk afterwards and I'm hoping that will be a tough lesson learned. I also told her to keep track of the extra work in case it is assigned for real later!

She only needs TWO things for class!

She'll need to work on her psychic homework skills for this one.

We had a nice relaxing weekend: got some chores done, went swimming, played some ball. If all the weeks of this school year go the same, I'll be one ecstatic Mama!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...