Friday, June 3, 2016

Birthday Party Planning



Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This week 12 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts. 

Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts.  Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:

Baking In A Tornado                            
Southern Belle Charm                       
Not That Sarah Michelle                                     
Spatulas on Parade                     
The Bergham Chronicles            
Dinosaur Superhero Mommy                                     
My Brain on Kids                           
The Angrivated Mom                       
Climaxed                                                                                      
                                                  

My subject is "At work, they've asked you to plan a party for a big client.  You have 2 weeks and a small budget ($1.000.00).  You pull it off and it's amazing.  How did you do it?"   It was submitted by Southern Belle Charm.  Here goes: 



Sometimes I get an idea or a prompt and all kinds of ideas flood into my brain. Sometimes I draw a complete blank, but then ideas slowly creep their way into my conscience. Then there are those times when I am at  complete loss as to what to write. Those are the times that I bend the rules. Because it's my blog and YOU can't stop me! LOL

Henry's birthday party is this weekend. The poor kid's birthday is right at the end of the school year. In fact, it's usually after the end, but because of the calendar this year, he'll actually be in school for his birthday. He's excited about that! He keeps asking if I'm going to bring him cupcakes and have lunch with him. It makes me a little sad that he keeps seeing his brother and sister get those things, but he misses out. But this year, I'm going to make sure he gets a fun school experience!

I've still got work to do with his home party. He asked for a science theme. This is turning out to be harder than the spy theme he wanted a few years ago. He always seems to pick difficult themes for me. Or maybe I'm just brain-fried at this point in the year.

I'd like to take a moment to point out that we really only do family parties. We've had a few friend ones over the year, but the vast majority of our birthday parties are a nice excuse to gather family together. So I'm trying to create a party that will excite the birthday kid without going over the top and confusing the adults!

Even if I had unlimited budget for a party, I'd still drive myself crazy pulling it together. I don't buy my kids birthday presents. They get their birthday shirts, a party, and a cake from me. That's enough in my opinion! However, if I did have a little bit extra budgeted for the party, there are a few things I would do:

  • Book a local park with cover in case of bad weather and comfortable seating for all involved. We have these options available, but I'm never organized enough to book early, and I'm always worried about the weather for an outdoor party. If the budget allowed, I could even rent some stuff to make our yard more appealing for an outdoor party. That would give us lots more space and save me a lot of cleaning! ;)
  • Stop fretting over the shipping charges. Again, I'm always feeling late when it comes time to gather materials for a party. I always seem to put off looking for supplies until the free shipping window has passed. I hate paying for shipping, but I will when I have to.
  • Buy the pre-cut fruit and veggies. I almost always buy my own fruits and veggies to prepare and arrange myself. I'm frugal like that. But if you forced me to spend extra money on a party, I'd buy the trays and call it done!
  • Pre- and Post-cleaning services. My house really isn't that bad this time around, but I've still got some things that need to be done. And there's always stuff to clean up after a party. I'd love to go ahead and out-source that.
I'm not sure this was the direction I was supposed to take with my prompt, but it is what it is. The jury is still out as to whether my client (Henry) will be pleased with his party. I'll let you know next week!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...