Friday, February 6, 2015

The Liebers Take Australia

I'm trying something new today!!!

Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This week, 15 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.
My subject is “You and your family get to move to a different country for a year. If you could choose, what country would you pick, and how do you picture your life there? ” It was submitted by Confessions of a part-time working mom.

Here goes:

Honestly? This topic could not be more fitting or timely! Is it just me, or is February the LONGEST month of the year?!?!  The other day I looked at my clock at least twelve times between 2:15 and 2:30. Time is just dragging on. Now if it were warmer, I wouldn't mind time dragging on. I'd be sitting outside under a tree enjoying a tall glass of lemonade and a new book.  But that's just not the case, is it? Because in the Northern Hemisphere, February is COLD and dreary.

So instead of complaining about the cold...wait.  I really don't think I'll be able to stop complaining about the cold. How about...Now, while complaining about the cold, I'll also be dreaming of sandy beaches and warm sunshine. That's right, I'm headed south. Wa-a-a-a-a-ay south. Australia to be exact.

Brisbane, Australia looks perfect to me. It's on the coast, and the temperatures are in the 70s and 80s year round. Okay...it does get a little cold in July when temperatures dip down into the 60s, but I'll just throw on a sweater and deal with it.

I guess it would be best to leave in the summer. The kids could finish out the school year here and then we'll take off. I guess that means Benjamin will miss going to Kindergarten. Honestly, I think with an adventure like this, we'd unschool the kids for a year. There's so much we could learn in a new country with the opportunity to travel around, unencumbered by jobs or finances.

Now since Ken and I both work for the state and I see absolutely no reason for the Commonwealth of Virginia to send us to Australia on business, I guess we'll just have to win the lottery. Or maybe discover a rich uncle has died and left us his millions. A rich uncle we had no previous knowledge of, of course. I don't want to be in mourning while we're there.

According to the Brisbane, Australia visitor's guide, there are a good number of day trips available that look amazing for a family to try out. I can see us paddling down a few rivers in a nice canoe or two. Or maybe climbing some mountains to look out over the landscape. Of course we'd spend some time on the beach, sitting in the sand and playing in the water.

A friend of mine mentioned we should get a tiny house. I tried to explain that we already have one, but then she showed me a picture. Now my house seems like a palatial estate!! Back to the tiny house, though. I think we could do that. It would certainly be a lot less to keep clean. And we would really only be sleeping there since we'll be having so many adventures otherwise. And of course, since this is all pure fantasy, the kids will all get along perfectly while we're there anyway. 

I promise to blog all about our adventures while we are in Australia. For my own memories, of course, but also because I know you'll all want to follow along on the amazing {fictional} adventure.

Where would you choose to spend a year, if you could suspend reality and move to another country?

Many thanks to Brisbane Marketing for the use of their photographs.



 
Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts. Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:
Baking In A Tornado
Stacy Sews and Schools 
The Bergham’s Life Chronicles 
Spatulas on Parade
Dinosaur Superhero Mommy
The Momisodes
Climaxed
Confessions of a part-time working mom 
Southern Belle Charm
The Lieber Family
Someone Else’s Genius 
Evil Joy Speaks
Disneyland in Kentucky
Sparkly Poetic Weirdo
Juicebox Confession

26 comments :

  1. That would be an adventure, wouldn't it? My favorite thing is that you would unschool the kids while there. I mean, school in another country could be fun, but to be off to explore for a year? You know they'd learn a ton that way.

    I'd pick Nauru. Never heard of it? It's a tiny island in the central Pacific. They used to call it Pleasant Island, so that should mean something, right? (Unless the same Nords who named Greenland Greenland were responsible).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a BLAST! I would love to travel all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always have been enchanted with Iceland and would love to go there. Although you kind of sold me on Australia....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen @ BakingInATornadoFebruary 6, 2015 at 11:55 AM

    I hope you have a little extra room in that tiny house. I'm done with winter too, I'm coming to visit you guys in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, you got my prompt! :-)

    Down Under is a fantastic choice, and you and your family will have a blast!
    I was in Brisbane once, and it was raining. Raining is actually an understatement, the newspapers were talking about the downpour of the century. So in order to make up for that I need to go back one day, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe I'll visit your island for a week while we're there, Eli. Our plans are pretty open-ended. So much so that they don't even really exist! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as I don't think of all the packing involved, the idea of traveling is very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. See that word "ice" kinda turns me off. It looks beautiful in pictures, but I don't think I could handle the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come on down, Karen! There's more than enough room in my {fictional} tiny house!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the chance to take a {fictional} trip to warm, sunny Down Under! I had so much fun looking at pictures of the beaches and hiking locations. I actually had a bit of a shock yesterday walking out of my office after looking at so many sunshine pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your answer! There is so many places I'd love to visit. I think I'd love to spend a year in Italy/Tuscany. As an added bonus, I'd be close to Malta and could visit there. I'd gain a billion pounds. I can only imagine how fabulous the food would be. It'd be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good choice! It would definitely have to be someplace warm and with sunny beaches as well. I guess I would come move in next door to you in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this answer! I'd either move overseas to mountains for snowboarding or I'd hit the beach. Or both...there's got to a place with both. Yeah...I'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds wonderful!! Before kids, I would never have considered living abroad. Now that I am older and have traveled a bit more, I think it would be awesome. Just harder to leave friends and family because of the kids. Australia would be great or somewhere in Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is it weird that I'd choose Canada? It's horribly snowy there too, but I love the idea of still being able to drive to see my family. I really need to get a life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Vet Tech in me says I'm joining you in Australia, though my husband might need some convincing - there are lots of poisonous snakes there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Australia is very high on my list. Chris was there for work (that's the story I go anyway:) the first year we were married - he loved it and said that everyone was so friendly - even the people working at McDonalds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a great prompt...sounds like you have it all planned out! I would love to go to Italy!!! I;d love to learn the language and how to cook the real Italian way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm just going to go ahead and say that if I'm on an imaginary vacation for a year, then all calories are pretend too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Come on over, there's plenty of room. You can make yourself right at home on our beach!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm fantasy land, you can have any type of geography that you want!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. It would definitely be hard for me to be away from my extended family for a year, but I still think I'd jump on this opportunity if it were offered to me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, it is weird that you'd choose Canada! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We'd love to have some help identifying the local flora and fauna. You'd could unteach us for a week in our unschool!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's awesome! It's absolutely my dream vacation destination!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That would be an awesome trip too. Italy is definitely on my list of places to see someday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...