Monday, May 5, 2014

April Update

Here I am, busy as a bee, trying to talk about work stuff at work, when one of my students pulls up my blog (with Friday's post still showing) and says, "Ummm....Your readers are ready for some new material!"  I think that just about sums up most of April! And since it's the first Monday of the month, it's time to check in on my resolutions anyway.

If you recall, March was pretty much a wash.  I felt all out of sorts and unproductive and like a total failure in regards to making any progress. April was better in terms of my attitude and perception, but not necessarily better in terms of meeting goals. I did a Google search for quotes about April and found this one that gives me hope:



My method of taking baby steps towards my goal may not get me to the finish line very fast, but hopefully I arrive there at some point!  Since I made these resolutions five months ago, I think it will be helpful for me to write them out again, along with a little update on where I stand:

  • Being still and praying more--There have been quite a few days this month where I have been "on" from the moment I woke up until the moment I fell asleep trying to put the kids to bed.  April was a busy month coupled with some insomnia. I have stayed off track with both of these goals, but they are on my mind often, and that's a step in the correct direction, right?
  • Lose weight and exercise--I actually feel pretty good about my weight. I gave up sweets and snacks for Lent and that made for less stress eating.  I lost some weight and have not gone totally back to snacking, so it should stay off.  Exercise has been a little easier with the weather warming up a bit. I've been spending more time outside and trying to move around more during the day.
  • Better planning--April was so busy that I had to have a schedule printed out, or I would have been totally lost. As it is, we missed one of Frances' choir rehearsals because there was an extra one I forgot about. I did pretty well with meal planning, especially considering all the nights we weren't even home because of some event!
  • Save money--I am proud to say that I've done pretty well with this. Have you seen the 52-week money challenge that seems to circulate near the beginning of each year?  The challenge to is start a bank account and add $1 the first week, $2 the second and so on until you add $52 the last week of the year.  Some people have complained that the plan as written is hard because you are supposed to be depositing more money near the holidays when money tends to be tight.  Some people have pledged to do the challenge backwards to lessen the impact at the end of the year, and also to get more money in at the beginning to earn interest.  I've made up my own idea and I wrote out the amounts from $1-52 and I've added a random amount each Wednesday.  I've stashed away over $400 this year! If I stick with this plan, I should have at least $1378 by the end of the year.
  • Clean my house--I've been way off track here and I am embarrassed to admit what a mess my house is.  However, I did get my own bedroom mostly clean and I've managed to keep it that way.  It's a nice little oasis in the rest of the house. Now to get a public area under control!
  • Go to bed on time--This one I can almost declare a new habit! There have been a few times I've fallen asleep in the rocking chair after putting the kids to bed, but for the most part, I've stuck with a 10 pm bedtime. I've been a little bit flexible on the weekends because Ken gets home at 9:30 and I would barely get to see him if I went to bed at 10.
  • Curb the online time--This is another almost victory! In fact, I don't even have a Facebook tab open right now! In the evenings, I've switched to reading on my Kindle app instead of mindless hours on Buzzfeed or Facebook. It's definitely a step in the right direction!
  • Be a better example to my kids--This is really a hard one to evaluate. I feel if I am doing well at all the others, then I'll be doing well with this one.  Obviously it's still a work in progress.
What kind of progress are you making towards your goals?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...