Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Do As I Say; Not As I Do

I remember my mom saying, "Do as I say, not as I do." a lot when I was a kid.  I don't remember what she was referring to.  I think most of the time it was silly stuff; but she did smoke when we were kids and we called her on it.  Thankfully both of my parents have quit smoking and I am really proud of them for it! 

I don't think I've really ever said those words to my kids.  Probably because they've never called me on my hypocrisy.  But I see it; and I comment to myself each time I do it.  I hope my kids don't learn all my bad habits!

I've recently posted about things I should say more often as well as things I should say less oftenThese are the things that I say to my kids that I should actually be saying to myself!

  1. "If you trip over it, maybe you should pick it up and put it away!"
  2. "You are tired! Go to bed!"
  3. "If you get something out, put it away!"
  4. "Pick out your clothes tonight, so you won't be rushed in the morning!"
  5. "When the alarm goes off that means it's time to get out of bed!"
  6. "I need you to pick what's most important and prioritize!"
  7. "Get out of the shower, you're using all the hot water!"
  8. "If you put your shoes in your shoe basket, you won't have to hunt for them every morning!"
  9. "Get off the iPad!" / "Turn off the TV!" "Your brain will leak out your ears if you watch that all day!"
  10. "Stop yelling!!"  (Yes, I see the complete irony!)
 I am completely guilty of getting after my kids for habits they probably learned from me.  Do you say things to your kids that you should be saying to yourself?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...