Monday, February 5, 2018

Quilted Tied Fleece Blanket

If you've been here for any length of time, you'll know I'm not a fan of cold weather. The theme for this month's Blog With Friends Challenge is "Winter Activities" and the only winter activity I actually enjoy is hibernating. So of course that's where I went with this project!

Frances made a blanket for the cat before Christmas and we decided we could make some more for Ken's cousin and her dogs. We also wanted to figure out how to make a bigger blanket for a bed, but the fleece was the wrong dimensions to do it the regular way. Ultimately, I decided to go for a quilted tied blanket. It's not a hard project, but it is a bit tedious.

Here's what you'll need:

  • fleece fabric in coordinating colors
  • fabric scissors
  • patience
I cut the fleece into 12-in squares (next time I will make them bigger). My goal for the blanket was to have it about 90 inches square, so I cut 100 squares of fleece: 50 of each fabric.

 First I cut it into strips.
 Then I cut the squares.
 Then I notched out the corners of each square. You could measure this, but I didn't. I eyeballed it at about an inch and a half to two inches.
Then I cut each side into five strips about two inches deep.

Take two opposite pieces of fabric and tie the strips on one side together with knots. Then add another piece of fabric, alternating colors/patterns. Make a strip of 10 pieces together. Then make 9 more strips. Next, take one strip and tie it to another in the same way as before. Once you have all ten strips tied together, go out to the edges and tie the strips next to each other together in pairs.

After you've done all that, curl up under your new blanket with a good book and some hot tea. It's probably too cold to go outside anyway!

Need some more ideas for winter activities? Check out my friends!

 Karen of Baking in a Tornado has Creamy Vegetable Rice Soup.

Dawn of Spatulas on Parade has Chocolate Walnut Gooey Snowflake Cake.

Jules of The Bergham Chronicles has some ideas for Inside Activities for Winter Days


Lydia of Cluttered Genius has a DIY Window Garden

Melissa of Heartfelt Sentiments has some Papercrafting ideas for when you can't go outside.

Are you a fan of winter? What's your favorite winter activity?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a link so I can return the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...